National Elk Refuge

jerm8352

Anyone ever hunted the National Elk Refuge? I see they have permission slips for the middle of October still available. I just moved to the Pinedale area so I have no idea how pressure or anything is around there. Would the elk even be there right now? Just looking at all my options on this side of the state as I am unfamiliar with it. Thanks in advance.

You have to have a general or limited quota license to get an elk refuge permit. Did you get one as a nonresident?

I've hunted it before and get a permission slip every year as a back up in case I don't get to go out or fill my tag. General rule for the refuge is the later the better, the refuge hunt is really dependent on snow fall. The more snow in the surrounding areas translates into more elk on the refuge, doesn't mean there won't be any on there now, it's just going to be tough without the help old man winter. I hunted up there the week of thanksgiving last year for four days saw hundreds of elk just off the refuge and no snow, the last evening it snowed and they piled onto the refuge. You have many options if you want to hunt the refuge, not just what's available for the week long permission slips. There's several other ways to get a permission slip to hunt the refuge to include daily slips and slips through the random weekly drawing. The refuge is also broken up into what type of weapon you're using, archery, muzzleloader and rifle. (pistols are in there somewhere but I can't remember what category they fall into) I'd highly advise you bring all if you can! I only brought my rifle last year and sure as hell they were on the muzzleloader and archery side every day except when it snowed. If you need anything else just pm me and I'll fill you in on what I know. In order to even apply to hunt the refuge you have to have a relevant tag, you can check by going into the Refuge HMA and apply. If your tags drop down includes the refuge in the HMA access page, then you're good. Pressure was certainly there, but nothing that you can't overcome with a little walking and not putting up with some of the outfitters shenanigans. By the way, Pinedale has some absolutely amazing elk and deer hunting around it, I'm jealous!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I have a tag as I moved from elsewhere in state. I know there is great hunting around I am just looking at options. I had a fellow boardmember really help me out already just looking at options in case I can't seal the deal because of my own inadequacies at elk hunting.

Back