Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

National Elk Refuge Question

WyoDoug

I am considering National Elk Refuge for my leftover elk license which apparently is valid for the NER even though it is area 6.

What is weather like in that area in November? I am considering somewhere in first two weeks of November.

You need weather to push the elk down.

If you have weather, then there will be elk.

If you do not have weather, then there may be a few wonders which will most likely be bulls.

It all depends on the year, some years they are there early and in others they are not.

I've elk hunted the refuge twice in the past, once in early November and once right around Thanksgiving. The early hunt was pointless, no snow equaled no elk. The late hunt, holy crap it was awesome. Had lots of snow and the elk were there. It's largely weather dependent, from my experience the later the better. There's more ways to get a permit than the initial draw, with your imminent retirement, the weekly permit or day permit late in the month would be worth exploring. Lots of regulations to follow too, but nothing complicated.

I haven't kept up with the litigation in regard to cancellation of the feed program, that's something else to look into.

Warning: it's a damn zoo when the outfitters are on horse back. It's literally like watching a bunch of bird hunters in a line walking a field towards elk.

I've elk hunted the refuge twice in the past, once in early November and once right around Thanksgiving. The early hunt was pointless, no snow equaled no elk. The late hunt, holy crap it was awesome. Had lots of snow and the elk were there. It's largely weather dependent, from my experience the later the better. There's more ways to get a permit than the initial draw, with your imminent retirement, the weekly permit or day permit late in the month would be worth exploring. Lots of regulations to follow too, but nothing complicated.

I haven't kept up with the litigation in regard to cancellation of the feed program, that's something else to look into.

Warning: it's a damn zoo when the outfitters are on horse back. It's literally like watching a bunch of bird hunters in a line walking a field towards elk.

I'll echo this. I've hunted it only one time but accompanied a couple other guys on the NER. The elk I killed was the day after Thanksgiving if I recall correctly and I got into a herd of a few hundred. It was mayhem.

I probably wouldn't go much earlier than Thanksgiving unless there is serious snowfall. One year around the middle of November a storm came through and we watched a giant herd migrate out of the park towards the refuge. Problem is, they generally don't stay on the refuge until later. They'll hang out in the surrounding hills on the east side until the snow piles up. That said, I've heard of them feeding on the refuge at night and then heading back to the security of the hills at daylight. You could get lucky and catch a straggler.

If you do go, I'd recommend a full orange suit. It can be a crazy time if there are elk there. Also, be sure to check out the northern areas of the refuge. There is a little more 'elky' terrain up there and it is closer to GTNP. Seems to thin out the crowds too.

I've heard it referred to as the "firing line". I think I'd find a type 6 cow tag and a rancher with a haystack.

If I draw the HMA I put in for I will likely stay closer to Cheyenne with my current vehicle in case I had to have it towed. Going to replace it with something more reliable after retirement. NER is just an option I was looking and I am pretty much limited to the first two weeks of November to attempt to fill this tag. From what I read here and otherwise, looks like NER is not the best option. I might make an attempt after I get a snowmobile or something.

I do got some permission to shoot on some private but it's kinda iffy if the elk are even there. Most of the time when I find them there, they are transient, just passing through. There, I kinda need to figure out when they pass through and about how often. Got a game camera set up to try and figure that out.

After seeing what the bison is like first hand for 3 years, no way I would go for an elk hunt on the refuge. However we have friends that do it almost every year. Later is better and it's a zoo.
Hit your area 6 tag early and you may find some cows on public, even the small sections of state and BLM.

I thought a type-6 cow/calf tag would not qualify one for an NER access permit? Has to be a "full price" tag (eg a type 4 antlerless instead of the reduced price type 6 cow/calf). I will never understand why Wyoming has an antlerless elk tag and then a different classification for cow/calf.

Aside, does anyone know where I can find the odds of drawing an NER access permit in the initial draw? Specifically wondering about the draw odds for the youth only slot for the thurs-sat of Thanksgiving week. And are the draw odds worse for a nonresident youth?

I thought a type-6 cow/calf tag would not qualify one for an NER access permit? Has to be a "full price" tag (eg a type 4 antlerless instead of the reduced price type 6 cow/calf). I will never understand why Wyoming has an antlerless elk tag and then a different classification for cow/calf.

Aside, does anyone know where I can find the odds of drawing an NER access permit in the initial draw? Specifically wondering about the draw odds for the youth only slot for the thurs-sat of Thanksgiving week. And are the draw odds worse for a nonresident youth?
Any unused license can be used for an NER permit, type 6 or otherwise. Type 4 antlerless are "better" tags than type 6/7 and make sense for a resident since the cost difference is nominal, for out of state unless money is not a consideration reduced price makes more sense for most people.

I've never found draw odds for HMA permits, if you figure out where to find them let us know, would be interesting to know.

Any unused license can be used for an NER permit, type 6 or otherwise. Type 4 antlerless are "better" tags than type 6/7 and make sense for a resident since the cost difference is nominal, for out of state unless money is not a consideration reduced price makes more sense for most people.

I've never found draw odds for HMA permits, if you figure out where to find them let us know, would be interesting to know.

It looks like a “full price” elk license was required for NER hunt periods 1&7 in 2020 (the periods when you can also shoot a bull). I want period 7 for my son (the 3 day Thanksgiving hunt where they can shoot bull or cow). So, sounds like I cannot get him a reduced price Type 6 cow/calf tag.

See here.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/con...onal-Elk-Refuge-2019-Elk-Hunting.pdf?ext=.pdf

I will call around on Monday to see if they publish any data on draw odds/demand and will report back if I learn anything.

It looks like a “full price” elk license was required for NER hunt periods 1&7 in 2020 (the periods when you can also shoot a bull). I want period 7 for my son (the 3 day Thanksgiving hunt where they can shoot bull or cow). So, sounds like I cannot get him a reduced price Type 6 cow/calf tag.

See here.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Public Access/HMA/National-Elk-Refuge-2019-Elk-Hunting.pdf?ext=.pdf

I will call around on Monday to see if they publish any data on draw odds/demand and will report back if I learn anything.
Oh yeah has to be full price if going during bull hunts, good point, but you can get in with any license for cows only. We were out there right before the Thanksgiving youth hunt, saw some nice bulls that would make some kid happy, good luck!

I wonder if it is worth driving to the refuge for the first week of the season, Oct12?
I have attached a quote for fall turf maintenance. Please let me know if you want to proceed. Thanks

Will elk be there that early?
Would there be any chance for a bul?
Would there be any chance for a cow?

I wonder if it is worth driving to the refuge for the first week of the season, Oct12?
I have attached a quote for fall turf maintenance. Please let me know if you want to proceed. Thanks

Will elk be there that early?
Would there be any chance for a bul?
Would there be any chance for a cow?
Not seeing the turf quote, think you forgot to attach it!

If I had a bull tag I wouldn't plan on hunting the refuge in mid October, too much good hunting opportunities to focus on that. But if I were going to be driving through there hunting surrounding units I'd apply for the permission slip just in case you happened to come across something on the refuge.

I see it as a last chance meat hunt to avoid tag soup. I'm guessing most years the elk don't show up in numbers until November or later depending on snow. They have a hotline you can check that tells generally what the elk are doing.

Head for the hills with your bull tag.

I hunted adjacent to the NER in Unit 78 three different times as a non-resident the past 15 years. One was the early tag that ends 10/31 and the other two are the late tag that runs into January. I filled all three tags.

For my first tag, elk were migrating out of Jackson in the spring then returning when pushed by snow. Wolves became more of an issue by the time I drew my second tag and I was told the majority of elk no longer made a long migration out of Jackson each spring. Weather? Wolves? Not sure. By my third tag, grizzly were wandering in and out of the flats towards the airport. More wolves. One of the arterial gravel roads was paved so traffic from the airport headed to Jackson now traveling though what may have been a path for elk to wander on/off the NER. Seems the movement patterns shifted a bit as elk fed on and off the NER.

F&G tried to issue a few dozen private-land only elk tags but as more ranches were sold the past decade then new owners were less likely to allow hunters, even for a fee. I would think a lot of elk are hitting the hay stacks put out for cattle on private lands would draw elk off the NER then if no hunting they stay for the hay.

I really like the Jackson area and have had good fortune with my elk tags there on physically easy flat land hunts compared to tags I've hunted in mountains of NV, AZ, NM, OR and WA. I also like grabbing a steak and beer in town and walking through the square with all the antlers. Jackson is not what it used to be and locals tell me that every visit yet Jackson treats me right when I am there!

Not seeing the turf quote, think you forgot to attach it!

If I had a bull tag I wouldn't plan on hunting the refuge in mid October, too much good hunting opportunities to focus on that. But if I were going to be driving through there hunting surrounding units I'd apply for the permission slip just in case you happened to come across something on the refuge.

I see it as a last chance meat hunt to avoid tag soup. I'm guessing most years the elk don't show up in numbers until November or later depending on snow. They have a hotline you can check that tells generally what the elk are doing.

Head for the hills with your bull tag.
No idea how turf maint got pasted????
We have full price cow licenses for 7-4. We applied for the elk refuge for the first week. Oct 12. We are trying to figure out if it's worth driving up there oct 12. The season starts oct 15 in area 7.

No idea how turf maint got pasted????
We have full price cow licenses for 7-4. We applied for the elk refuge for the first week. Oct 12. We are trying to figure out if it's worth driving up there oct 12. The season starts oct 15 in area 7.
In that case if you pull the permission slip and have the time and don't mind the drive I'd say give it a shot, you can keep applying for the later time slots through the alternate draw most years too. It's nice scenery if anything, if no elk around you can figure out the refuge setup a bit in case you end up there again later in the year.

So you're weighing NER over area 7 ? Not sure I would go that route but it may work for you.
Lots of elk will go down Oct 15 in area 7, meaning get taken.

So you're weighing NER over area 7 ? Not sure I would go that route but it may work for you.
Lots of elk will go down Oct 15 in area 7, meaning get taken.
I am looking at every option. We can take a bull at the NER. We don't have a bull license for area 7 and the NER hunt is Oct 12. Area 7 opens Oct 15. If there are no elk, we can head S.E. Oct 13. I am wondering if any elk at all would be there that early.

Last edited:
I am looking at every option. We can take a bull at the NER. We don't have a bull license for area 7 and the NER hunt is Oct 12. Area 7 opens Oct 15. If there are no elk, we can head S.E. Oct 13. I am wondering if any elk at all would be there that early.
Funny I was just noticed you had said unit 7, that's a good unit. Your cow tag is still only good for cows at NER, the bull option in October only applies if you have an either sex tag to start with, so you'd only be able to kill cows there. I'd probably focus on 7. NER definitely hit and miss then.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back