MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Narrowing down units

Krs1219

1st time elk hunter this year in colorado. I am researching units and have narrowed it down to 6 I am curious to what others feel is more important

bull harvest/ hunter numbers.
5 year success rate,
burns/no burns,
Amount of elk concentration areas on CO hunting atlas
Roadless areas

Ive read multiple people on the forum say pick an area/terrain you like to hunt and start there, only problem is ive never been any more west than ohio so I'm open to it all

My prioritization order:

1) Amount of elk concentration areas on CO hunting atlas in that unit
2) 5 year success rate
3) bull harvest/hunter numbers
4) burns/no burns
5) roadless areas

Your first priority is always access. You have to have a decent amount of accessible public land with suitable elk habitat for that particular season, unless you have foolproof, inside information on a unit with limited elk habitat on public land. Second, you want to be successful right, so look at those success rates, but understand that they are not exact. They are rough estimates with confidence intervals. Third, lower hunter numbers usually provide a better hunting experience. Fourth, burns can draw elk into a unit especially if it's a newer one. I put roadless areas last because I don't feel roadless areas are all that helpful in determining a good unit to hunt and depending on the season, elk may be right up by the road. Have fun deciding!!!

From your list, I would do:

1. Amount of elk concentration areas on CO hunting atlas
2. bull harvest/ hunter numbers.
3. 5 year success rate,
4. burns/no burns,
5. Roadless areas

Harvest numbers are often skewed by more or less outfitters and private land in a unit. Who the heck cares in there are burns? You want high elk numbers. Randy has people obsessed with burns and there will be more pressure in them in the future. You want to find elk, not burns. I'd want some glassable terrain that's not all dark timber but it doesn't have to be a burn. Roadless can be somewhat of a factor but there can be good hunting and lots of elk in some roaded areas. It can add a challenge if the elk are getting moved around all the time.

Thanks for the comments I'm almost back to the drawing board. How accurate would you think the CO harvest report hunter numbers in each unit? I'm thinking of looking at units that have good concentration from the hunting atlas and low hunter numbers. Would any of you recommend that strategy?

Thanks for the comments I'm almost back to the drawing board. How accurate would you think the CO harvest report hunter numbers in each unit? I'm thinking of looking at units that have good concentration from the hunting atlas and low hunter numbers. Would any of you recommend that strategy?

I wouldn't overthink it. A few years ago I was doing much the same as you are now, focusing on all the stats trying to find a unit that would give me some extra edge or advantage to get one down. What I found was that the hunter and harvest numbers are skewed one way or another and won’t necessarily reflect your experience. Regarding hunter numbers: Colorado has a lot of hunters looking for elk. If a unit has low hunter density that’s probably because there aren’t many elk. That’s not the type of hunt I would recommend to a first timer.

My advice would be to cast a wide net, find some units that have decent this stat or that stat or whatever matters to you, then get on google earth and the Colorado hunt atlas and pick one that looks suitable. Don’t concentrate too much on the numbers because they’re likely going to matter far less than you’d think once you get there.

If a unit has low hunter density that’s probably because there aren’t many elk. That’s not the type of hunt I would recommend to a first timer.

Spot on! For first timers look for high concentration areas and plan on working hard. It can be done just takes some time. A lot easier to learn about elk hunting where there is plenty of elk.

Honestly, Colorado becomes a total madhouse during hunting season, and if there is a road nearby, there will be plenty of hunters around so looking for roadless areas would be near the top for me.

One thing not mentioned that might be worth considering: terrain. Depending on your physical condition and what type of hunt you want, the terrain may play a big factor in how much you enjoy the hunt and how successful you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back