NAP Spitfire/MAXX vs. Elk

havebowwilltravel

I as a past fixed blade shooter realize this post may inadvertently start controversy with the fixed blade users so PLEASE refrain from boasting at all cost how great a 2, 3 or 4 blade fixed head shoots or performs over a mechanical. I’ve shot so many fixed heads over the years successfully I’ve got the data I need with the fixed head performance and now working on mechanicals, specifically NAP Spitfire/MAXX.

I’ve had a tremendous amount of success recently using the NAP Spitfire/MAXX on other species and looking to personally understand performance STRICTLY on elk as this will validate if these heads are to stay on my VAP shafts this coming September chasing the great wapiti.

Current Bow Spec’s
Elite Ritual 35
29/70#

Shaft
VAP @ 430 gr
22% FOC
COC 100gr Spitfire MAXX

I am stating all of this up front as I’d like to personally learn or understand NAP Spitfire users results STRICTLY on elk, successful or not, and their in the field results with this head

Looking forward to hearing back from the NAP Spitfire shooters….

Last edited:
I've killed a handful of bulls with the spitfire 125 and 100. All but one were pass thru's, with better blood and faster kills than most of the fixed heads I've used. I'm using the original spitfire 100 with their coc tip this year, 1-1/2" cut dia, 425gr arrow, 52# Bowtech Reckoning. This head was offered years ago, prior to the maxx.

I can't help you specifically with details/info on your setup but like you, I've taken elk (and other large game) with fixed and mechnicals... I've also been shooting VAP Elite arrows (400), 27.5" draw with about a 28" overall arrow length @ about 62#. Love the VAPs by the way - I setteled on that arrow after testing penetration results on tons and tons of arrows... Last year I killed my bull with a NAP Killzone Expandable. No passthrough but decent penetration and an easy 50ish yard recovery. I've also taken elk with the old Ulmer Edge Broadhead. Recovery wasn't as easy - about half a mile track job but my shot wasn't as good either so that was on me... In fact I would say the only reason I recovered that elk was because I shot a BH/Mechanical. You can't get the orig Ulmer heads anymore but I've seen 'sneaky' references to that head essentially coming back around now as the SEVR head/design... I do like the looks of the Spitfire so I'm sure your setup would be more than adequate to go with those if they are flying well for you...

My father and I both have used spitfires for years. Typically it’s been a pass through unless it hits the opposite shoulder. My first couple were not pass through as I used the lightest head 75g or 85?, but I’ve been using 100s (and now 125) with excellent success. Our arrows are also sub 400g. 👍👍

I have not shot any elk with spitfires, but I was standing right beside my dad filming him kill a bull with a Spitfire and it performed flawlessly. Complete pass-through, great blood trail etc. It was no different than the stack of whitetails I have shot with the Spitfire. Avoid the large shoulder bones and you will be golden imo

I know that bowhunt or die has some episodes where they have used spitfires for Elk.

I was very happy with the results of the NAP spitfire maxx on a 2019 bull elk. Frontal shot buried to the fletching. Crazy blood trail. Bull died within 10 yards. Total arrow weight ~510 grains.

Sorry everyone; sad to explain I'm not able to add a successful harvest photo to my original posting.

Even though I was in bulls each day, the BIG boys I worked on throughout my 2 weeks slipped past without getting an arrow flung.

Maybe next year. I had great results with Trypans this year!! I defiantly won’t be going back to fixed.

Back