MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

N. NV Newbie

Lucky_Lep

Just joined and am still figuring out the forum.

I live in N. NV and am getting set for my first self guided Elk/Deer hunt in ID this Oct. Doing my research and trying to figure it all out. Hoping there are some tidbits here and there I can pick up on to help flatten the learning curve.

Have hunted a couple of times before, but am still new. So if I sound like I don't know what the heck I am talking about, I probably don't!

Also, since internet messages can be easily misunderstood, I am pretty sarcastic at times. I don't mean to offend anyone, but my sense of humor usually gets me in trouble before I know it.

Hope all is well!

Welcome and many of us welcome sarcasm. Good luck with hunt, use search feature as there is a ton of info avalible

What unit in ID you going for I was looking at buying a tag but I wanted to see if I draw NV first. If you get a tag in ID is it non refundable or can you return it?

What unit in ID you going for I was looking at buying a tag but I wanted to see if I draw NV first. If you get a tag in ID is it non refundable or can you return it?
Panhandle B Tag. My buddy and I already committed to going, so I didn't look too closely at the return policy. Here is a link I found to a 2012 response regarding the topic. Is it possible to get a refund and return tags? | Idaho Fish and Game. It's a pretty old link, so I'd double check.

Downside to waiting for NV Draw is they don't release until May 19, and last year ID nonresident OTC sold out June 19. With the 2020 change to ID nonresident OTC tags, they think the sell out will be earlier. Link to ID F&G webpage with remaining OTC: Elk Nonresident Tag Limits | Idaho Fish and Game. Of the 12-13K Nonresident OTC tags, looks like there is less than 1K left.

Panhandle B Tag. My buddy and I already committed to going, so I didn't look too closely at the return policy. Here is a link I found to a 2012 response regarding the topic. Is it possible to get a refund and return tags? | Idaho Fish and Game. It's a pretty old link, so I'd double check.

Downside to waiting for NV Draw is they don't release until May 19, and last year ID nonresident OTC sold out June 19. With the 2020 change to ID nonresident OTC tags, they think the sell out will be earlier. Link to ID F&G webpage with remaining OTC: Elk Nonresident Tag Limits | Idaho Fish and Game. Of the 12-13K Nonresident OTC tags, looks like there is less than 1K left.
Ya I saw they had switched the way they do it and that they were on sale now.

Ya I guess bcuz I have zero experience I’m hoping to get close to home first to allow me maximum scout time to get ready.

Welcome, hope to be chasing some geese in your neck of the woods this next week.
Haven't seen many in the hunting areas. There are thousands in town hanging out by the man-made ponds/water features. So domesticated at this point humans/cars/dogs don't spook them. What area are you heading to? Stillwater?

Ya I saw they had switched the way they do it and that they were on sale now.

Ya I guess bcuz I have zero experience I’m hoping to get close to home first to allow me maximum scout time to get ready.
I am in the same bucket. I've only hunted ducks/geese/whitetail. I don't have enough points yet in NV for an Elk draw in a unit nearby where I live. So, I'd be driving hours to scout the units I might be able to draw in this year. In the meantime, my buddy and I are buying points till we have enough to draw somewhere close to home, and ID Nonres OTC seemed like the closet opportunity to get out there every year while building points at home. I'll still probably head out late summer to hike/camp/scout the areas and scout for when I might draw in a few years.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back