Caribou Gear

Mystery Ranch Opinions?

surby

I have my first elk hunt this year and I plan on hunt coues/mule deer in the Arizona area in the future so I want to invest in a pack that will last but I don't want something super bulky as these will usually be day hunts or I will be camping in the area and using a side by side to gain access so it won't be a 10 mile hike in and out. I don't want something super bulky but I do want something that can hold a decent amount of gear/meat.

With the gohunt sale/my points, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a pintler or a mule? Has anyone used these packs and could give an insight?

I have a Pintler. It’s nice enough but I honestly prefer my icon pro for a few reasons. The load sling on the mystery ranch is sweet though.

I have Pintler, Muley and a Metcalf - for day hunting I find the Pintler just right. Can squeeze into muley or can strap down Metcalf, but pick Pintler.

I have Pintler, Muley and a Metcalf - for day hunting I find the Pintler just right. Can squeeze into muley or can strap down Metcalf, but pick Pintler.

Lol, you have quite the investment in bags

Thanks!

Lol, you have quite the investment in bags

Thanks!

Long story short - stumbled into it. Bought Metcalf XL but found the XL to ride a little long and wanted to switch to L frame. Found a crazy 50% off on a Muley in L and grabbed it for the frame and sold my XL frame to a buddy for essentially the same price. That left me with one frame + Metcalf + Muley for original price. Then when my son needed a pack I got him a Pintler so now we each have a MR frame and pick the best pair of bags for the trip - so really only one extra bag.

I have a pintler. Great bag, but i wish i would have bought a metcalf for longer hunts. Now have to buy another new pack for multiple day hunts.
If you go with the metcalf you can run it without the lid and compress it down for day pack size. You can also buy the bag only option for the pintler, and swap it out for your metcalf if you wanted
to run a smaller bag.

I have the Cabinet and LOVE it. It can pack down to the size of a Mule but with the side pods it can really carry quite a bit. It carries weight beautifully and securely. Add the Kifaru gun bearer and you are set. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
I have a pintler. Great bag, but i wish i would have bought a metcalf for longer hunts. Now have to buy another new pack for multiple day hunts.
If you go with the metcalf you can run it without the lid and compress it down for day pack size. You can also buy the bag only option for the pintler, and swap it out for your metcalf if you wanted
to run a smaller bag.

100% agree. My pintler is great but it's on the small side for backpacking.

I broke down after experimenting with cheaper packs and got the Metcalf...I doubt I will ever regret it. I bought my wife a Pintler as it's unlikely she will ever go on a overnight hunt nor carry as much gear as I do, but it still has the overload shelf. GOHUNT has a really good sale on packs right now.

My Sitka Mountain Hauler 6200 served me pretty well.
The Sitka Mountain Hauler is a beast mode backpack with up to 5,000 cubic inches of capacity. You can place an elk quarter on the load-hauling shelf with no issues while keeping your gear secured in a separate location for easy access.

I have the Cabinet and LOVE it. It can pack down to the size of a Mule but with the side pods it can really carry quite a bit. It carries weight beautifully and securely. Add the Kifaru gun bearer and you are set. :)

Ill second this, Best set up by far for anything from a day hunt to multi day bivy hunt. MR cabinet with side bags.

I have a Pintler, the only other pack I used before that was my Army ruck. Obviously the MR is light years better than that pack was. I day hunt with it and camp at my truck so it is the perfect size for me. I upgraded it with the stone glacier quick release rifle carrier. That set up works pretty great for me so far.

I run a Crew Cab ( what the Cabinet was based off of) and like SFC B states, bomb proof, can cinch down small, the side pockets are huge, and add a daypack and a couple load cells, and it will take you into the wild blue yonder for a 6-10 day hunt.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back