Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 vs Metcalf

Rainer

With no dealer in near by. Does the Beartooth compress down as well as the Metcalf for day use?? is the lid removable on the Beartooth?

My only beef with the Beartooth is that you do need to unclip several buckles to open the main compartment.
Only part I do not like with the new Sawtooth/Beartooth. Once buckled you can't get in the pack easily.

I have the Metcalf and it serves well for hauling meat. I am in the "like pockets" camp and wish it had external pockets for quick access needs and a spotter. I will eventually get into something that serves that purpose, no doubt.

I'm going to hopefully pick up a Beartooth if I can find one on sale

Beartooth all the way, it will fit all your needs plus the kitchen sink.
Might even fit a cute chick in there!! 💥

I got the Beartooth this spring and was planning on getting the Pintler bag to swap if it seemes like to much for some hunts. After turkey hunting with it and just hiking I haven't really thought about getting the Pintler anymore. I haven't used a Metcalf but the Beartooth hasn't disappointed. There was a slight learning curve for me with all the buckles but I like the fact that I have a hunting pack that can handle any type of hunt I might need it for.

I’ve been looking at packs and had the exact same question. I like the layout of the beartooth a lot more, but wasn’t sure if the extra pound of weight was worth it. I’m incredibly new to hunting so I also have a very limited scope of knowledge, lol.

The only reason it’s worth the extra pound is if you need the extra space, or if you really need pockets and such.

Only part I do not like with the new Sawtooth/Beartooth. Once buckled you can't get in the pack easily.
I’ve been doing some playing with this and here is my two cents:

I’ve used it lid off and lid on. Obviously it’s slightly lighter sans the lid, but you also lose the easy access pockets in the lid. I’m not convinced it’s worth it to leave the lid off.

Without the lid pockets, the only easy access is the pocket on the back of the pack. Getting into the main bag requires unbuckling the three side compression straps. Don’t tighten the two straps that go across the middle of the pack and it’ll be easier to get into the outside pocket on the back.

Make sense?

Edit: I'm packing for a hunt right now, and the lid pockets are adequate for water filter, survival kit, rain gear (tops and bottoms), headlamp, and food. All stuff I want super easy access to.

F87E5C38-B779-4731-B47B-AC7075EF9025.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason it’s worth the extra pound is if you need the extra space, or if you really need pockets and such.

That’s what I figured. I don’t think I’ll need the extra space anytime soon, I’m just a big fan of organization with all those pockets.

That’s what I figured. I don’t think I’ll need the extra space anytime soon, I’m just a big fan of organization with all those pockets.
It’s a lot easier to make a big pack smaller than make a small pack bigger. I’m not a big pocket guy and if the Metcalf came in a bigger bag I’d switch back in a heartbeat.

It’s a lot easier to make a big pack smaller than make a small pack bigger. I’m not a big pocket guy and if the Metcalf came in a bigger bag I’d switch back in a heartbeat.

That’s a really good point too. Thanks for the insight!

I have both. I depends on what I am using it for. Used my Beartooth on a sheep hunt and was super thankful for all the space. My use of the Metcalf more than the Beartooth is likely just habit.

Either of them can be bought at a 10% discount by using Promo Code RANDY at checkout from goHUNT.com.

I love my beartooth. I put my food related items and other stuff that can stay at camp in the lid and leave the lid behind. With the lid gone, it compresses down pretty well.

My use of the Metcalf more than the Beartooth is likely just habit.
I can't tell you how many times I'll drop my pack and catch myself reaching for that handy size zipper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back