Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80, Selway 60 or Sawtooth 45?

EmperorMA

I really like Mystery Ranch's new Guide Light MT belt. I am going to buy a pack that will be used 80% of the time for 2-3 day backpacking trips for fly fishing, 15% as a rifle-hunting day pack that will hopefully be required to haul out deer and/or elk meat and 5% for maybe a 4-day backpacking trip.

So, it will be a regular long-weekend backpacking pack mostly, and will need to haul meat on occasion. I am truly stuck on which of these new Guide Light MT Frame packs to get: Beartooth 80, Selway 60 or Sawtooth 45.

I know the Beartooth 80 is more than I need but if it compresses down small enough for day hunts then it may be the best bet.

I like the Selway 60's size but it lacks organizational ability which would certainly be missed on weekend fly-fishing trips.

I love the organizational aspect of the Sawtooth 45 but am afraid it may be too small for 3-4 day backpacking (non-hunting) trips.

What do you folks who use Mystery Ranch Overload packs for general backpacking think would be the best choice? Will the Beartooth 80 cinch down well-enough for day hunts? Will the Selway 60 be OK without extra pockets? Will the Sawtooth 45 carry enough on the Overload shelf to make it viable on the occasional 4-day backpacking trip and a pack that works very well for 2-3 day trips?

Again, this pack will not be used for multi-day hunting trips. Maybe an overnighter, but I know all three can handle that. I am mainly concerned with day hunting/meat hauling and weekend fly fishing backpacking trips July - September. My gear is modern and lightweight backpacking gear that doesn't take up a ton of space. I do carry all of the shared gear such as tent and cook system, though, as I am stronger than I am smart. Thanks!

Last edited:
I ordered the Selway 60 (2019 version) this week. From what I could tell, and for the expansion and compression options you are talking about, it seems like you would be best going with the beartooth 80. It has the 270 degree zipper and interior pockets of the Sawtooth 45, but it also has the detachable lid portion which looks like it hold about 10-15 liters of space, leaving you with a 65-70 liter Sawtooth essentially if you packed out without the lid portion, which you can do, since it just buckles in place.

After using the NICE crew cab and longbow for about 8 years now, I just ordered a Sawtooth 45. Anyone know if I can attach an old load sling or the mule bag to the new frame? I'd heard the buckles might not be compatible but curious if anyone knows first hand. Excited to test it out.

After using the NICE crew cab and longbow for about 8 years now, I just ordered a Sawtooth 45. Anyone know if I can attach an old load sling or the mule bag to the new frame? I'd heard the buckles might not be compatible but curious if anyone knows first hand. Excited to test it out.

I don't think so. I know I saw something from them that said they were going to make a compatible version of the Cabinet for the new MT frame, but that pretty much every older design would not work on the new frame because they streamlined the attachment points to make access to the load shelf easier.

I wish I knew which if any bag only option for the new frame was going to be realized next year, it would make my choice a bit easier.

I wish I knew which if any bag only option for the new frame was going to be realized next year, it would make my choice a bit easier.

Have you called them? I'm in the same boat. I have a Metcalf on a NICE frame, and am contemplating whether to upgrade the frame, or wait another year or two and buy a Beartooth and get the buckle conversion for my Metcalf and Longbow bags then.

Have you called them? I'm in the same boat. I have a Metcalf on a NICE frame, and am contemplating whether to upgrade the frame, or wait another year or two and buy a Beartooth and get the buckle conversion for my Metcalf and Longbow bags then.

I did speak to someone, not at MR but who is retailer. He said that they didny disclose which if any bags will be bag only for frame. An no plans for different colors or camo for next year..

There's is also some discussion about the backward compatibility of bags to the new frame. Meaning it may not be a option.
Hopefully I am wrong on all accounts

I’ve been told that MR will have a compatibility kit for Guide Light backs before the end of 2019.

They also said they’d have bag-only GLMT options in the future but did not give specific models. I’d guess Pintler for sure and probably the Mule, as those two would be at the most attractive price points and are already popular. This being said, I’m actually hoping for a Sawtooth bag-only option. If I knew it was coming, I’d buy a Beartooth today and add a Sawtooth bag and be very happy.

As it is, I’m now leaning toward the new Seek Outside Lanner, which has the features and size I need for backpacking and I can add the SO Peregrine bag-only for my hunting trips.

My problem is I REALLY want the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth but believe it to be too small for 3-4 day fly fishing trips.

My problem is I REALLY want the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth but believe it to be too small for 3-4 day fly fishing trips.
A lot of guys use the Pintler which is smaller and heavier for 3-5 day trips. Just put a dry cell in the load shelf.

I’ve been told that MR will have a compatibility kit for Guide Light backs before the end of 2019.

They also said they’d have bag-only GLMT options in the future but did not give specific models. I’d guess Pintler for sure and probably the Mule, as those two would be at the most attractive price points and are already popular. This being said, I’m actually hoping for a Sawtooth bag-only option. If I knew it was coming, I’d buy a Beartooth today and add a Sawtooth bag and be very happy.

As it is, I’m now leaning toward the new Seek Outside Lanner, which has the features and size I need for backpacking and I can add the SO Peregrine bag-only for my hunting trips.

I agree with you. I wish the sawtooth was a bit bigger, somewhere inbetween a metcalf and current sawtooth

I agree with you. I wish the sawtooth was a bit bigger, somewhere inbetween a metcalf and current sawtooth
If you do the calcs, the Beartooth actually holds right at 85L. The Sawtooth is right on 45L. A 65L version that sits right in the middle would be the sweet spot for me.

I’d call it the Gallatin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back