Myrtle Beach Fishing in March

mdunc8

I just booked a trip to take my boys (8 and 10) to visit my folks in Myrtle Beach March 14-20. I haven't done much research, but it sounds like I might me able to find some drum in the creeks that time of year. I may try to rent a kayak for a day or two and do some exploring on my own. I'd also like to take the boys out with my dad, who's 80. I'm thinking about spending some money for a charter to increase our odds of getting into fish. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone to reach out to within an hour or so of Myrtle?

That time of year you may be able to surf fish and be fine. A kayake may get you into some areas away from shore especially for trout but it may not be necessary for drum. Plenty of kayake rentals. Depending on the tide and the wind, you may not even need a surf rod from the shore.

Are you thinking a charter for tuna or just a guide to fish for drum?

I grew up just over the border from Myrtle, you'll do best to get a guide around Georgetown/Murrels Inlet.

State Line charters would be a good starting point.

Thanks guys. Haven’t put too much thought into the charter yet. Don’t think we’d do tuna though. Want to keep the kids busy, so I’m guessing we’d need to focus on something else. Surf or pier fishing is a good idea. My youngest is fascinated by sharks. Catching one would make his trip.

I’ve enjoyed fishing creeks from a kayak in the past. I don’t know what I’m doing, so I usually don’t catch much, if anything… Fun getting away from folks even if the fishing is slow, so I’ll probably give it a try either way.

SW, where are you from? My grandparents lived on Oak Island. I spent a couple weeks each summer down there. Unfortunately they moved away before I got into fishing.

Thanks guys. Haven’t put too much thought into the charter yet. Don’t think we’d do tuna though. Want to keep the kids busy, so I’m guessing we’d need to focus on something else. Surf or pier fishing is a good idea. My youngest is fascinated by sharks. Catching one would make his trip.

I’ve enjoyed fishing creeks from a kayak in the past. I don’t know what I’m doing, so I usually don’t catch much, if anything… Fun getting away from folks even if the fishing is slow, so I’ll probably give it a try either way.

SW, where are you from? My grandparents lived on Oak Island. I spent a couple weeks each summer down there. Unfortunately they moved away before I got into fishing.
I grew up on Holden Beach, one island south, or west from Oak Island.

Cut bait should yield sharks from the pier.

Unfortunately my youngest broke his leg at hockey practice last week so fishing is probably out. Maybe he’ll be feeling up for it by the time we make it down there.

Back