My Virginia deer

brownbear932008

This is my 2011 Virginia deer the buck wasn't much on spread only 14 6/8th" but he made up for it in mass his smallest measurement was his base measurement of around 4 4'8". He grossed 139 and netted 131 1/2". A very nice buck in my part of the woods my 2nd best. The buck was taken at 450 yards with a 7mm STW Remington on the first day of rifle season. Not a glamourous story but here it is anyway.

I had been hunting a much bigger deer that I laid eyes on and missed at a whooping 40 yards with the same gun I shot this deer with last year it was brand new and I had an old Savage for years that you had to stand on the trigger to fire it, this one is a hair trigger which I love but wasn't use to. Anywho long story short my excuse is I missed him with a round that wasn't meant to head his way so soon.

Ok back to this year I was hunting this large rub line of 30" rubs from the bigger deer I'm guessing a 160ish buck. I had just sat down for my evening hunt on my now named rock when I noticed some deer about 1-11/2 miles away on the ridgeline. It was around 3pm. I placed together my spotting scope and hit the two deer and realized right away it looked to be a very good buck.
I then packed up no sooner than I sat down and hit the trail running took me 30mins to get to a vantage point across the ravine from where I'd last seen the deer. After looking over several more deer that had popped out in the ravine I finally spotted the buck making a run at a doe he was with. He ran her 20ft. or so then stopped. I got down on the bipods and the buck was around 450 yards give or take. He was standing straight behind some small trees I wasn't willing to shoot through. I sat there probally 20 minutes and he didn't move except to look around the area he was very cautious and old. He finally took two steps and came into an opening. I took aim and fired a complete miss he kinda jumped I must have shot under him but he didn't take off.
Well I already had another round in the pipe and fired again. The recoil took the deer out of my view and when I looked up I saw nothing on the hillside. I looked back through scope nothing laying there. I couldn't believe he would have gotten outta there without me seeing him since the hillside was fairly open in nature and he hadn't fell where I shot. So I made way over there finally after getting there I searched and seached for sign and couldn't even find where he was standing. By this time it was getting dark on me I finally laid my tripod down to mark a location to start searching in the morning. I decided on my way out I would shoot straight down hill since there was a creek in the valley. Well I walked about 75 yards and there laid my buck piled up under a bush with a perfect heart shot. Man I was jacked up for several hours.:D:D390293_10150469515575734_728765733_10968727_129396856_n.jpg

2011 deer.jpg

374295_10150469517085734_728765733_10968732_1090475621_n.jpg

MDunc8 the Aresenal hunt I took a small 10pt. not much for there matter off fact the whole day was slow when I was there 5 for 30 on hunters that took deer. I did see some brusier's though that morning 150ish deer just couldn't get on them I was placed on a very thick stand and the hunting was tough with all the head high brush. I guess I will back in line for another 8-10 year wait before I enjoy that again. LOL;)

Great buck. I have seen some studs from Virginia this year.

Thanks fellas I've been very blessed this year with the deer gods that's for sure. Yeah I have seen some great VA. deer this year also. Can't wait to start seeing those great elk here. They are beginning the elk restoration project is in full swing the first release is sceduled for May just down the road from my house!!!! YEAH:D:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back