My son’s bull shark

nwihunter

My wife and kids and I have been taking a family vacation to Florida since our boys were young. We stay with my aunt and uncle that live on Honeymoon Island. Their condo complex has a private fishing pier, so we started buying some cheap fishing gear to use when we are down there. We would regularly catch Black Tips, Reef Sharks, and Bonnet Head sharks. Nothing big ever but they were still sharks and the boys really got a kick out of it. Fast foreword some years and the boys have grown but still like to shark fish when we are there. My youngest started buying and collecting some real gear for the past couple of years, hoping to land a big one. Well this was his year. 7ft Bull Shark probably just under 200lbs.
Fish of a lifetime for him. 7163FC2A-E158-4D24-BF50-AEC81CE33E6E.jpegA3320AC0-FFB1-440C-91BE-DF246D81C1BE.jpeg87891A69-16FA-4AC9-8DD5-A2018E98F50D.jpeg

Whoa! Very cool! 200lbs! Grats! That is a heck of a feat to beach one of those. Had an opportunity to play from the sand years ago and heaviest was probably 40lbs. 200 lbs is massive!

Whoa! Very cool! 200lbs! Grats! That is a heck of a feat to beach one of those. Had an opportunity to play from the sand years ago and heaviest was probably 40lbs. 200 lbs is massive!
Yeah I’m really happy for him. He has been reading and studying everything he can find on shark fishing for the past 2 years. I told him that fish is the equivalent of killing a 12pt buck back home.

Very nice!!! Caught em down here on the Texas coast. I know bulls get a bad rap as for as table fare but I have bled em out before n iced them real quick n it tasted fine to me n my family n friends.

Reactions: LCH
Awesome! As a kid we would catch the heck out of sharks off the beach on Marco Island. In fact, my parents got talked to by some concerned beach goers that we were catching sharks where people were playing in the water. We kept fishing and catching sharks! Lol. Landed an 11’ bull shark as a young teenager and it about made me poop my pants when we got it next to the boat and I got to see the business end of that thing when it got leadered. Tons of fun!

Nice fish! Good fight for sure.

Came face to face with a big bull spear fishing as a younger (and dumber) man. Good times. Looking back I now realize that a bleeding amberjack flopping on your stringer isn’t the brightest move

honeymoon island?? I used to flyfish for snook there when my sister used to live in St. Pete

Congrats on the shark! It's funny, all her local friend that were fisherman would refuse to swim in the ocean. They said they've seen too much haha!

honeymoon island?? I used to flyfish for snook there when my sister used to live in St. Pete

Congrats on the shark! It's funny, all her local friend that were fisherman would refuse to swim in the ocean. They said they've seen too much haha!
Yeah that’s on the causeway of honeymoon island. My aunt and uncle live in the condos out on the island.

Back