My Northwest MT Monarch

Congrats, very nice bull, thanks for sharing the story & photo! By the looks of that wallow you sure took a gamble! It doesn't look very well used! (grin) Congrats!

ElkNut1

It was a bit of a gamble, your right about that. The wallow sat next to a pond and it had fresher sign around it's edges. The fresh bear sign was enough to convince me to sit, and I figured the elk had to come back sometime and freshen it up. Turned out my instinct was right.

That is a cool old bull! Wow... nice job.

In the area, its fairly well known that back in the day there were several herds of roosevelts brought into the area around Wallace, ID... their genetics are very easily seen throughout the area along that spine of mountains that separate Idaho and MT from about Hoodoo Pass on up to Troy! They also tend to have MUCH larger bodies than the true Rocky variety! That bull has a pig of a body!

I've only ate some of the backstraps. He actually tasted as good as my raghorn from last year. When we were cutting him up some of his muscles, particularly around the neck were really stringy from age. So far so good though.

Back