My New Mexico Muley Hunt

SCliving Outdoors

In 2020 I drew a New Mexico deer tag. I scouted for four days and hunted hard for five days. I found a really big buck while scouting, but I could not make it happen during the hunt. This year I drew a tag in northern New Mexico and hunted with my friend who lives in the area. We hunted really hard and backpacked all across the mountains. We saw a lot of does and a few small bucks, but nothing I wanted to shoot. Finally after 35 miles and 4 days we found a nice buck. I connected at 403 yards and I finally had my first NM muley.

74C2FF44-5D16-4625-8E8F-AA440AD8063F.jpegBF3D4847-B11B-4023-B231-CB27C217E2A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad you found one.
Not many deer left in NM,compared to 15-20 years ago. None like the70's...
I'm not even really going to try this year with my tag.

Glad you found one.
Not many deer left in NM,compared to 15-20 years ago. None like the70's...
I'm not even really going to try this year with my tag.
Trophy quality in my part of the state has went to crap compared to what it was even jus 10 years ago forsure on public.

Beautiful buck and country. Really hoping to make it to NM for elk soon.

Trophy quality in my part of the state has went to crap compared to what it was even jus 10 years ago forsure on public.
Yep,mine too. Unlimited OTC along with years of draw hunts in high numbers did us in. Throw in tons of elk and there ya go. Low Muley numbers.
I'm also bummed I screwed up my foot, so hiking in to my few spots is really off the table. I think Rio & I will go for some drives early morning & evenings....lol

He made you work for him! beautiful deer, hope he tastes as good as he looks. congrats!

Good job! So few deer out here, though I have seen some that are simply stupid big. But in my seventh year living here, not one deer tag yet.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back