Caribou Gear

My new gifted scope trustworthy??

S-3 Ranch

I was asking a question about vortex scopes and was getting mixed reviews from 4 stars to NFW repeat/ junk. So then I was gifted a vortex crossfire ll 4x12x44 it’s now on my rifle,
but those negative reviews make me doubt my decision, are they really bad ? I normally buy leupold, but $$$ is tight this year so just ran with the free gift 😕😕😕

I sell Vortex, Leupold, Swarovski, Kahles, Niteforce, Leica, Zeiss, Burris, Sig, and Hawke optics. While you will find A LOT of Leupold fan boys here (and there is nothing wrong with their optics) I am one who is a Vortex user and fan (currently 4 scopes, binos and a Razor rangefinder in my house). That being said Crossfires are the low end of the Vortex spectrum. I would ask what rifle/caliber you are putting it on and what rings you will be using and what your expectations from the setup you have. Also, what kind of usage is the setup going to get? Are there any special hunts on the horizon? etc

I sell Vortex, Leupold, Swarovski, Kahles, Niteforce, Leica, Zeiss, Burris, Sig, and Hawke optics. While you will find A LOT of Leupold fan boys here (and there is nothing wrong with their optics) I am one who is a Vortex user and fan (currently 4 scopes, binos and a Razor rangefinder in my house). That being said Crossfires are the low end of the Vortex spectrum. I would ask what rifle/caliber you are putting it on and what rings you will be using and what your expectations from the setup you have. Also, what kind of usage is the setup going to get? Are there any special hunts on the horizon? etc
Remington 788 .308win , not sure on base & ring, main rifle use so could be white tail in a stand - aoudad hunting on a mountain to chasing pronghorn in New Mexico
expectation same as before 9D5FA304-43F3-413F-976A-7BAA0A7E23B2.jpeg

I would suggest that you get the best and widest set of rings you can afford comparatively so that you have as much purchase as you can. I prefer using a pic rail and rings for the additional range to adjust for eye relief, but that is a personal preference. From there I would definitely shoot quite bit to make sure you are all squared away with plenty of time before hunting season.

Is that a current group or the previous setup?

I would suggest that you get the best and widest set of rings you can afford comparatively so that you have as much purchase as you can. I prefer using a pic rail and rings for the additional range to adjust for eye relief, but that is a personal preference. From there I would definitely shoot quite bit to make sure you are all squared away with plenty of time before hunting season.

Is that a current group or the previous setup?
Yes, group with the scope I bought the rifle with. It doesn’t have any markings of maker -it’s crekot overimage.jpg

If it's reliable, nothing is wrong with inexpensive or cheap.

On one of my go-to rifles sits a Burris C4 that I bought on clearance for stupid cheap. I've dunked it, stuck it in the freezer and shot a couple hundred rounds while spinning the elevation turret. It tracks consistently.

Wish I'd of bought a few more.

submerge it, freeze it and see if it stays clear.

Few things are more crappy than a fogged optic while hunting.

The Vortex will likely work but if your not going to be comfortable with it and wishing you would have bought another type of scope I would trade or sell the Vortex while its still new. You might get the best money or trade deal before its seen a season of a chance of getting banged up hunting. If you cant sell or trade it because its a gift then I would give it a go. Im not the most practical person when it comes to equipment but I know how to make myself happy with my gear.

@S-3 Ranch My personal opinion on Vortex is that I have had it across the range of optics (Range finder, binos, and spotters) with success. I had the same scope you mentioned on my Browning X Bolt 7mm Rem mag, but the magnum slammed that scope over time. From the beginning, it was accurate, but lost consistency. I think on a lighter load, that model scope would be fine. If I had a lighter load that was not a magnum, I don't think there would be any issues. I have since changed the scope that I use away from the Vortex but definitely would not say that I am a Vortex hater.

My opinion is Vortex is highly over priced for their lower end items. Look at Athlon or Meopta before you pay an advertising machines bills.

For crying out loud. It's a free scope. Put it on a rifle and shoot it. Then you'll have firsthand knowledge of how good YOU think it is! Free scope as in it cost you nothing!

I'm a Leupold man. It gets down to this: Buy American, support American workers where you can. Their scopes hold zero. Great value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back