My idaho elk 2011

Duck-Slayer

well, this was a two part trip, my buddy Rob had drawn a Antelope tag in this unit and saw elk here while he was scouting so I got me an elk tag, we were going too be in the mountains for a week, and I figured a day maybe two for his antelope, well we showed up on Sept. 23rd day before season opened and found a good buck, bedded him, and showed up 2 hours before daylight too get him, well two other groups of hunters found him also, so we did not see him that morning cuz two bone heads walked right through where him and 20 doe's were bedded, anyway about 10:30 a.m on Sept. 24 we found him and Rob made a heck of a shot with his gun, named betsy, the shot was 725 yards with a 300 ultra mag and dropped him in his tracks, awesome shot, we are going too try and shoot a couple of deer next week long range......

Elk, after the antelope deal we headed straight too scouting and finding elk, went fairly well, with lots of miles walked, many elk sighted, and a couple 100 yard encounters but non wanted too play, was real hott everyday nothing really bugling and wolves were seen everyday or sign of them, elk were in small 3-7 animal groups and not talking, deer were scared sh!tless... seen a few rag horns taken and 1 nice 5x5 from a Nevada taxidermist..... all in all it was great trip..... I have more video's than pics so they might take awhile too post.....

Fun fact... we saw Antelope, Elk, Moose, Deer, wolves, and Bear all within about a 5 square mile area, was awesome..... except the wolf part.....
Matt

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a great hunt & nice photos.

I had a friend that went elk hunting in Idaho a saw more "grizzlies" then he cared to see. Kinda made the hunt scarey for a Iowa boy. (is that a common occurance?)

good luck to all
the dog

Back