My first grippy - sort of.

44hunter45

I remember there was a "Back in The Day" picture thread, but I could not find it.

Anyway,
I had no idea this picture existed. I found it in a box of pics my mother sent home with me. The first buck I ever shot (at). That is me in the red shirt on the left with my dad behind me. My buddy Barry on the right with his dad behind him. c.1972?

Statute of limitations on arming 10 year olds in California is expired and John has left this earth. That's his tag on the buck. Because he killed it.

I had buck fever bad and emptied all seven out my 30-30 without touching this buck once. Then I started chasing the deer down the canyon on foot. After the smoke cleared, Barry's dad dumped it with one shot from his Model 99 in 300 Savage when it stopped for that fatal over-the-shoulder look.

He then coached me that the thing to do is go to high ground so you can see to get your shot when it comes. I took a lot of ribbing that day. A great time to be a free range kid.
I grew up and bought fancier rifles, it was 30 years later before I put my own notch on that Model 94 rifle stock.

Miles buck (2).jpeg

Last edited:
Nice buck.
Great sideburns on your Dad.
Your buddy completes the picture with hat and glasses.
Partial points for the red shirt.
A+ for show and tell.

Really cool! Is the rack still floating around at someone’s house?

Nice buck.
Great sideburns on your Dad.
Your buddy completes the picture with hat and glasses.
Partial points for the red shirt.
A+ for show and tell.
It's one of those pics that gets better the more you look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back