Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

My first buck Euro mount complete, finally

Great thinking outside the box! I am a wood nerd too. I will check out the router sled. Don't have a planer and can't really justify the expense ... in dollars and lost space. Finally got around to bringing Dad's Shopsmith from Montana two years ago. He gave it to me and I declared it when we moved here in 1989. A really great tool. Invaluable for trimming up cap mount skulls, especially heavy moose racks. Move the table up next to disk sander and it holds the skull in place while grinding. Otherwise skull wants to jump around. If you get a chance to pick up a Shopsmith reasonably, jump on it.

Here's how I flush mount the hangers on the back of taxidermy plaques. Forster bit drills the big hole and Dremel tool with burr carving tip removes the wood to recess the hanger which I pound flat. That way even the screw heads are recessed. The plaque mounts flush to the wall and no chance that hanger or screws will scratch paint or wallpaper. I learned to NEVER use the crappy brads supplied with those hangers. They pull out easily and mount falls on the floor. I would probably epoxy screws into end grain just to be sure. The holes in hangers need to be drilled out a bit to accept screws.

I have tags on the back of most plaques and hang a small photo with each mount. The frames are 3x4 and from Michael's Crafts. I use Photopaint to resize images to fit.20201017_213255.jpg20201017_214324.jpg

Last edited:
Great thinking outside the box! I am a wood nerd too. I will check out the router sled. Don't have a planer and can't really justify the expense ... in dollars and lost space. Finally got around to bringing Dad's Shopsmith from Montana two years ago. He gave it to me and I declared it when we moved here in 1989. A really great tool. Invaluable for trimming up cap mount skulls, especially heavy moose racks. Move the table up next to disk sander and it holds the skull in place while grinding. Otherwise skull wants to jump around. If you get a chance to pick up a Shopsmith reasonably, jump on it.

Here's how I flush mount the hangers on the back of taxidermy plaques. Forster bit drills the big hole and Dremel tool with burr carving tip removes the wood to recess the hanger which I pound flat. That way even the screw heads are recessed. The plaque mounts flush to the wall and no chance that hanger or screws will scratch paint or wallpaper. I learned to NEVER use the crappy brads supplied with those hangers. They pull out easily and mount falls on the floor. I would probably epoxy screws into end grain just to be sure. The holes in hangers need to be drilled out a bit to accept screws.

I have tags on the back of most plaques and hang a small photo with each mount. The frames are 3x4 and from Michael's Crafts. I use Photopaint to resize images to fit.View attachment 158260View attachment 158261
Shopsmiths are awesome. Back in 2000 I was looking for one to start my wood working power tools, but they were expensive and I was poor. I could probably afford one now, but I don't really have the room for it. First I'll need to rebuild my shed so I can get my woodworking out of the garage. That'll give me more space. Nice mounts by the way.

Shopsmiths are awesome. Back in 2000 I was looking for one to start my wood working power tools, but they were expensive and I was poor. I could probably afford one now, but I don't really have the room for it. First I'll need to rebuild my shed so I can get my woodworking out of the garage. That'll give me more space. Nice mounts by the way.
Keep your eye out for one. Seems everyone nowadays has to have as many power tools as possible. New gadget-itis. So they are unloading Shopsmith's for a truckload of new stuff. My cabinet maker brother, who was heartbroken when I finally hauled off Dad's Shopsmith, happened to notice one sitting outside while driving by a renovated office building in the Flathead Valley. Previous owners left it there. He got it for the price of hauling it off. Only had a few attachments but a fairly new machine. Mine is from the 1950s and needs some upgrading (particularly spindle bearings). The lathe stuff for it took a walk during one of Mom's infamously abused garage sales. Also Grandad's wicker fishing creel got ripped off. Rummage sale junkies are too often human rubbish. Keep your eye on em!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back