My first Bow kill.

earlybird

Yesterday morning I finally made it out to do a little hunting . My buddy and I both have a deer tag and I had an antelope tag for the area we were hunting. We met a little before daylight and headed to our lookout spot for some early morning glassing. We were mainly focusing on deer but if I had a chance to stalk a good antelope I was gonna try it. We saw a lot of deer the first few hours in the morning but nothing that we wanted to pursue. I am fortunate enough to have alot really good neighbors that own big ranches that have I permission to hunt. We weren't far from a ranch that my brother in law leases and he has been telling me that there has been a good antelope haning out in his hay fields. As we got to the edge of the fields the goats were slowly feeding up a big ridge to bed for the day. We took a two track and trailed to the top of the ridge which put me way out in front of the heard and had the wind in my favor. The buck had 19 does and a smaller buck on with him. I decided make my move as they were feeding into a series of rolling hills. As I was hiking toward them I decided I was gonna try and get a shot at the big buck or nothing at all. I havn't ever killed anything with a bow and I didn't want to start with a doe. I snuck in as close as I could and waited them out. With only a couple rocks a few bushes and a washed out cow trail I didn't have alot of cover. Two different times I had does at 20 yrds and the little buck at 15 but I couldn't get close enough to the big buck without getting busted. Finally after about an hour of being pratically in the middle of the heard the big buck decided to run his little intruder out of the heard. I could see the curls of his horns coming over the top of the hill in front of me, I had ranged everything I could and had him at 52 yrds. I drew my bow and sat up on my knees. The buck was quarting toward me and stopped when he noticed something out of place. I put my pins where they neeed to be sent my arrow on its way. I heard the THWACK and knew it had hit home. He didn't go 20yrds and tipped over. Thought I would share a few pics of my 14 1/4 inch goat and my first ever bow kill. I have been lucky enough to kill alot of antlope in my life and a few bigger than this one, but I think that this one means more to me than all the rest. Thought would share. Thanks for reading.
046.jpg

040.jpg

Congrats ! I hope to see one that nice in 2 weeks....

Congrats!

Congrats on a good looking antelope! This is my first year bow hunting as well and I hope I can post a first bow kill thread this year!

Back