My email to my congressman, critique me please!

Drysider

So, I emailed my congressman for the first time ever in 28 years of voting. Guess that kinda ages me! I'd like to hear from some of you seasoned pros, on how this is done, and done with greatest effectiveness. Below is my email. Please critique it. Tell me what I did right, wrong, well and what could be better.

Congressman Reichert,
I write to you today, to ask that you stand with the millions of Americans who enjoy our Federal Public Lands for recreation in all it's forms. As I am sure you are aware, there are forces at work that would have all Federal Lands transferred to the States. I feel this would be the worst possible outcome for Our, the American People's Public Lands and Our Natrual Heritage. I respectfully ask that you oppose HR 621 should it come to the floor of the House for a vote. Additionally, I urge you to maintain Federal Law Enforcement on Federal Lands. As the former Sheriff of King County, I am sure you can appreciate the stress and additional burden that would fall on local Law Enforcement should that measure pass. I respectfully ask that you oppose HR 622 should come to the floor of the House for a vote. I would appreciate a response detailing your views on the these subjects.
Respectfully yours,
Brandon Thomas

Thanks fellas! It's in Congressman Reichert's in box. Considering posting my letter on my social media as a template for my friends and family, as just about everyone I know use Our Public Lands in one form or another.

Thanks fellas! It's in Congressman Reichert's in box. Considering posting my letter on my social media as a template for my friends and family, as just about everyone I know use Our Public Lands in one form or another.

Looks great to me. Make sure you also email your senators, and at least make one call to each of their offices at least a few times a month on this issue. When you call it doesn't have to be a super long message you have to give just let them know who you are, how you use public lands, and what bills or general ideas you are against. It's important to get others involved, stay involved, contact your reps, and get others to do it as well. Backcountry hunters and anglers only charges $25 a year for a membership and sends you a quarterly magazine as well and is fighting the good fight for us as well. I would encourage you to join them or donate $10-15 to TRCP. If you can't do that, you're doing great just contacting your reps and getting others involved. Groups like RMEF and others have also joined the fight so if you support them your helping too.

Stay on this forum and it'll no doubt keep you up to date on important issues that arise in public lands.

Good to see others getting involved, thanks for writing your congressman. It does mean a lot, this is a fight we cannot afford to lose.

Last edited:
Back