Caribou Gear

My dads 2011 Wyoming elk!

Intothewindoutdoors

My dad has always been the kind of guy who would let you fill your tag before him and this year was no exception. He has had many years where his graciousness has resulted in him eating a tag and it was looking like 2011 was going to be one of those years.

We had 3 bull elk down in our group and with the elk season winding down I wasn’t sure we were going to be able to make our schedules match up to get my dad out on one last elk hunt before our tags switch from any elk tags to a cow calf tag. Now don't get me wrong my dad has always been the kind of hunter that shoots the first elk he sees and would be just as happy shooting a cow than shooting a nice bull but I really wanted him to shoot a nice bull.

We got a phone call from a buddy of ours that said he could get us onto a property where he had seen a few big bulls and we just couldn't pass it up. Now I’m a public land hunter at heart but when you have an opportunity late in the season like this you have to take it.

We met him up near the area we were hunting at 5am and drove into where we would be hunting. We glassed a few areas as the sun was coming up and in the 3rd spot we glassed we saw two great bulls! They couldn't be in a better spot to try to get on them, the wind was right and we had the sun at our backs. So we gathered all our stuff up and headed out.

We peaked over the first hill where we thought the elk were and they weren't there! So we started walking up the hill to our north and right as we peak over the top there they are!! 70 yards away and they have no clue we are there. My dad gets in position and two shots later had a great elk on the ground! It was great to see my dad shoot a good bull and the cool thing was I got it all on tape!

Watch the video and a few others at intothewindoutdoors.com

Congrats dad!!

Attachments

• Dad 2011 elk 006.jpg
    Dad 2011 elk 006.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 543

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97