Caribou Gear Tarp

My adventure for this year!

mevertsen

I am new to the site. I actually stumbled on it by searching for information on an elk hunt this year prior to the applications in Nevada. I drew the tag, a cow muzzle loader for 078,105-107, 109 here in Nevada. The season dates are August 16-31, and I plan to hunt it with my family in tow. This is my only big game tag this year aside from mountain lion (which I chase with hounds). I figured I would share my adventure with everyone. I am pretty excited. I haven't hunted elk for several years, so I am looking forward to it!

And thanks to bigfin for pointing me in the right direction.

I am getting pretty pumped. I have done a couple scouting trips with one more planned. Water sources have been identified and elk are using them. Only 3 weeks left to go!

Thanks guys for the replies.

Here are some pics from the first scouting trip June 30 to July 2.

Camp - not where we will be camped during the hunt. It was getting later and thunder storms were rolling in, so I was more concerned with getting a camp in rather than being in a perfect spot. It was a good weekend either way.

First pic is of my old girl, and my young girl - just now about 15 months old.

Camp

A guzzler that I hope to hunt near - there are currently about 40 elk using this guzzler. The area is very dry, and there are 12 guzzlers on 2 mountains. Quite a different way of hunting than I am used to.

The family

I will post more pictures of the dogs when I have a little more time.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 292
Went shooting yesterday to finalize a load. Kneeling in the dirt. I only shoot my guns after initial sight in from field positions. This gun hasn't seen a bench in years. First shot was the high one, second was low. Both at 100 yards. Third was in the middle after walking around a few minutes and then simulating a still hunt. 50 yards.
Traditions Pursuit 100 grains Goex 2f. 300 grain Hornady .452 XTP. Harvester crush rib sabot. Williams WGRS peep with orange front.

The target is the paper ones designed for archery but I prefer to use them with firearms as well to train my eye of where to aim although they are quite small. Next two sessions I will use my speed loaders. I do not clean between shots for hunting scenarios.

Attachments

• IMAG0178.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 179
I remember going camping like that when my kids were small. Seems like you have to bring half the house. stroller, play pen, wind-up swing... We always had a great time anyway.
I can tell you that in 109 the elk like to come down and raid the alfalfa fields at night then go back up into the hills. The same is true in the valley north of Currie.
Good luck to you on your hunt.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back