Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My 2015 Colorado Moose

mhkowalski

I really stepped in it with an unbelievable tag and harvest for a Bull Moose in Colorado this year.

This tag took me 7 years to draw. I totally beat the odds. Every time I talked to others that have applied for the tag, they were still tag less after 15+ years. My friend Ken from Albuquerque volunteered to come with me. I am lucky to draw the tag but more lucky to have a friend support me like Ken.

A very generous hunter, who I met from a friend of a friend, Jack, offered to show me a spot where he shot a great bull, years ago. He drove over a hundred miles to help, arriving the day before the season. We hunted together in his favorite spot, finding a bull by cow calling about 2 hours after the hunt started. This session proved to be invaluable, learning calling techniques, especially how to grunt to keep the bull's attention. That bull was on the small side, so he was easy to pass, but the lesson was great. We parted ways mid-afternoon. I learned so much.

That afternoon was not fruitful, but did put a few miles on the boot leather. The moose were not hangin out the willow bottoms and ponds, that night. They seem to like the forest / lodge poles.

The next morning we returned to my new friend's favorite spot, grabbing the attention of another small bull. We were about 3 miles from the truck. Had to pass on him too. I believe that was good judgement.

That afternoon I decided to strike out on my own without Ken, who struggles with steep, hoping to gain some elevation in an area where I took a cow moose 4 years ago. The weather was unsettled with showers passing through with wind. Though not too conducive to cow calling I still tried, focusing the calls in a canyon where I earlier had found about a dozen moose beds. This elevation gain helped me get a great view of a swampy willow bottom and series of ponds. I watched for about 1.5 hours, getting a little wet, and trying to keep my 338 win mag dry. It was starting to get late. I figured I had one more glassing session over the willows, so walked to that side of the ridge, thinking more about how I was going to get back to camp than anything.

Just then I sighted a bull and 2 cows walking down into the drainage. I now know the distance was 0.5 miles. I figured I needed to really hustle to get there in time. My experience told me to keep my breath (10K ft), move quickly downhill without running so to not turn an ankle. I stopped 3 times to relocate the bull. During the last I saw him swimming in a one of the ponds. I then focused on some willows my side of the pond. I get there. Of course it is swampy, I am making a bunch of noise, am too low, and cannot see anything. Just then I hear the bull raking willows and grunting. Jack and Ken taught me grunts, so I start grunting myself as I close the distance and gain elevation. I catch a glimpse of him, move a little higher on the hill, then see him looking at me, broadside. He was close enough my shooting sticks did not need to go to tripod. I put the gun up, settled, and made a perfect shot. One more insurance shot put him down. It was thick enough I almost stepped on him before seeing him. Moose are larger than you can image.

By the time Ken could get there, we took pictures, quartered and hung the quarters, it was midnight. I used a Montana Hammers knife my nephew, Marty, gave me for Christmas, this year. The pack-out happened early the next morning, which was not too bad, as the moose was about 100yds from an ATV trail. Looks like I will get 300+ pounds of great moose meat. He measured 45".

Colorado is doing a great job with their moose management. The wardens and Hot Sulphur Springs CPW staff were so helpful. Thanks to all, especially Ken, Jack, and Marty.

Attachments

• 1-P1010048.JPG
    1-P1010048.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 894
  • 2-P1010241.JPG
    2-P1010241.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 905
  • 3-P1010257.JPG
    3-P1010257.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 900
Congrats on a very nice moose! They are just beast to hunt and take apart!

Awesome Awesome Awesome! Trophy of a lifetime. Great moose and pics! Congratulations.

Wow! Great moose, great story and a once-in-a-lifetime experience. There is nothing better than a freezer full of moose meat. Nice knife, too, by the way.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back