My 2010 Cow Elk

Well, this year has been very kind to me to say the least. Hopefully I won't pay for it next year. We got a bit of a late start since my Fiance was up late doing homework and got a slow start. After we got the boat in the water everything went smooth. Got to my preferred destination, parked the boat and set off. We had just started to climb a ridge when I spotted blaze orange on the ridge in the distance where we were headed. A quick change of plans and we continued out hunt. When we got up to the top I spotted the other hunters again. Trying to make the best of the situation we walked to the edge found some comfortable sandstone and watched. I figured I would take advantage of the situation and see if the pushed something out that they couldn't see. Nothing happened so we got up and head for the next ridge when I spotted a group of elk running towards the other guys. They disapeared in the the deep coulee and trees. No shots at all but in about 5 mintues we heard sticks braking and some crashing in the coulee directly below us (About 2 miles from where I saw them cross the ridge) and then Tamber saw a treee violently shake and a brown butt pass it. I dropped my pack and asked her to stay high and keep and eye out. Half way down the ridge I came around a Ponderosa and had a 4x4 bull straing at me at 59 yards. Eventually the stare down ended with him taking his cow and heading deeper. I circled down further into the flat near the bottom and headed back towards them. We finally got a small breeze and I smelled a faint whisp of elk. Another 40 yards and they all stood up and head back up the ridge. Finally my cow stopped at the end and dropped in her tracks. But as things always seem to go she moved a lttle after dropping and rolled all the way to the bottom in the steep coulee and into a pile of juniper. It took Tamber and I about 4 hours to bone her completely out and the another 2 hours and 0.76 miles each way to pack her back to the boat. I couldn't belive it only took 3 hours to find and shoot an elk!

picture.php

I do occassionally smile

picture.php

picture.php

Congrats on a successful hunt! I'm drooling thinking of the meat on that cow!

Sounds like a great quick hunt that came together for a great win!

Grats!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back