Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Muzzleloader newbie

Loose powder eliminates that gap you're worried about. Just tamp the load down the same every time. Eventually you will seat a bullet without any powder. If someone claims they haven't they are either a liar or have not shot enough. That's where its nice to have a removable breech plug. Pull the plug, push out the the bullet, throw it away and start again. Your breech plug not seating the primer all the way in bothers me but if you are an engineer, you can measure the depth of the hole.

Loose powder eliminates that gap you're worried about. Just tamp the load down the same every time. Eventually you will seat a bullet without any powder. If someone claims they haven't they are either a liar or have not shot enough. That's where its nice to have a removable breech plug. Pull the plug, push out the the bullet, throw it away and start again. Your breech plug not seating the primer all the way in bothers me but if you are an engineer, you can measure the depth of the hole.
It sits flush with the barrel, so it should sit flush with the firing pin. I can close the action with no problems. I think it’s ok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
It sits flush with the barrel, so it should sit flush with the firing pin. I can close the action with no problems. I think it’s ok.
Try soaking your breech plug for about 30 min. Then take a small drill bit just big enough to fit in the hole and turn it back and forth with your fingers (DON't use a drill). That wil clean any carbon build up in the plug.

Try soaking your breech plug for about 30 min. Then take a small drill bit just big enough to fit in the hole and turn it back and forth with your fingers (DON't use a drill). That wil clean any carbon build up in the plug.
Got done doing all of that Friday evening. Pictures above are the end result. BTW these are Remington 209 shot shell primers.

Buying some today :)

Finally got to shoot it today. Everyone was right; made it a bigger deal than it had to be. Loose powder is much more comforting to use. Accuracy wasnt suffering at all either. Just need to spend some time to sight it in correctly and itll be ready for deer season this year and pronghorn next year!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back