Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Muzzleloader newbie

So for this particular gun, i cant locate any publications that say it's magnum capable. I think im going to load it with 100 grains of pellets to start, 209 winchester primers and some clearance 250 grain powerbelt copper bullets. Ready to give it the ol' college try!

Also noticed that the sabots I bought are a bit raised and the pellets don’t sit well underneath. It leaves about a 1/4” gap. Am I supposed to shove it flush when it’s in the barrel?

*I would clean it then try inserting the 209 primer again. CVA makes a "parts soaker" which you can put the breech plug in and let it soak and then simply wipe it clean.

*There are 2 breech plugs that CVA makes (at least for the more recent models) one for pellets and one for powder. The powder plug has a deeper hole in it where the powder can sit.

*It is not as intimidating as you think--- Once you get a few shots under your belt you will do just fine.

*Also, I like the power belts over the sabots as they shoot cleaner and I use triple 7 powder.

Good luck and have fun!

*I would clean it then try inserting the 209 primer again. CVA makes a "parts soaker" which you can put the breech plug in and let it soak and then simply wipe it clean.

*There are 2 breech plugs that CVA makes (at least for the more recent models) one for pellets and one for powder. The powder plug has a deeper hole in it where the powder can sit.

*It is not as intimidating as you think--- Once you get a few shots under your belt you will do just fine.

*Also, I like the power belts over the sabots as they shoot cleaner and I use triple 7 powder.

Good luck and have fun!
I did the parts soaker yesterday before I put the primer in. I looked at a few videos and some seem to stick out a bit as well. I think it’s normal so you can get it out with a fingernail.

I thought the other breech plug was for buckhorn. This one is older so there’s only one. I can get the pellets to seat onto the breech no problem, just the cup on the bottom of the sabot doesn’t fit the pellets but I’m starting to think that’s normal until I start to shove it in the barrel.

You need to shove it down then drop the ram rod till it gives a bounce, usually 2-3 times. If you just shove it down your velocity will have big swings which effect your accuracy. Do the same thing each time you load it. When you settle on a bullet you can get a tip that matches and you won’t be deforming anything.

I would steer clear of power belts they are the bottom of the muzzleloader bullet pile. They don’t seal as well, are not as fast, and the performance on game is questionable. Barnes, Hornday, Thor, Thomson Center are all bullets I would trust.

You need to shove it down then drop the ram rod till it gives a bounce, usually 2-3 times. If you just shove it down your velocity will have big swings which effect your accuracy. Do the same thing each time you load it. When you settle on a bullet you can get a tip that matches and you won’t be deforming anything.

I would steer clear of power belts they are the bottom of the muzzleloader bullet pile. They don’t seal as well, are not as fast, and the performance on game is questionable. Barnes, Hornday, Thor, Thomson Center are all bullets I would trust.
That’s exactly what I needed to read. I make things to literal (engineer but trade which is a curse). I’ll do the bouncy trick and mark the ramrod.

I was thinking of hornady or Thor. I’ll certainly get a few if I like muzzleloading.

I used pellets since they came out, killed a lot of deer with them, then I tried BH209. I can’t believe I wasted all that time with pellets and cleaning.

My best advice is to ditch them as soon as possible and quit wasting money and components.

I used pellets since they came out, killed a lot of deer with them, then I tried BH209. I can’t believe I wasted all that time with pellets and cleaning.

My best advice is to ditch them as soon as possible and quit wasting money and components.
I will eventually get to that point. All Cabelas had was pellets so I went with it. I know CO wants loose powder so I’ll need to learn to measure.

Measure by weight not by volume. You will get way more consistent groups.

Take five charges by volume and weight them each. Take the average and use that for your load. Each powder compression is different and so are the markings on tubes.

For volume example: fill a tube to 120g and then shake it sharply once. You will have about 110g. Shake it again several times and you will end up with 115g.

Measure by weight not by volume. You will get way more consistent groups.

Take five charges by volume and weight them each. Take the average and use that for your load. Each powder compression is different and so are the markings on tubes.

For volume example: fill a tube to 120g and then shake it sharply once. You will have about 110g. Shake it again several times and you will end up with 115g.
I’ll have to get an actual measuring setup rather than my cheap kitchen scale then!

Well I tried the bounce trick. I did achieve it, but it was at the cost of breaking the pellets. I don’t believe the mixture of pellets and sabots I have work well with each other.

Well I tried the bounce trick. I did achieve it, but it was at the cost of breaking the pellets. I don’t believe the mixture of pellets and sabots I have work well with each other.
Why are you taking it apart. Your supposed to shoot it? What the heck does it matter that the pellets fell apart? They are one use only.

I thought I may have broke them so I took it apart to verify that I did. Hodgdon’s site says to not break them.

I thought I may have broke them so I took it apart to verify that I did. Hodgdon’s site says to not break them.
Once in the chamber? Doubt it, it’s meant to be shot. Outside the chamber, yes, do not break them up.

End of the day do what you want. In my experience of almost 20 years shooting them and countless deer killed I’m giving you what I learned. They need that compression to seat the sabot, bullet, and powder together. A air gap in there anywhere changes your ignition and velocity. Tapping them in place till you hear the difference and get a bounce ensured there was no air gap and it had equal seating pressure between shots.

Just pushing them in you will never achieve the best accuracy you will only achieve inconsistency.

End of the day do what you want. In my experience of almost 20 years shooting them and countless deer killed I’m giving you what I learned. They need that compression to seat the sabot, bullet, and powder together. A air gap in there anywhere changes your ignition and velocity. Tapping them in place till you hear the difference and get a bounce ensured there was no air gap and it had equal seating pressure between shots.

Just pushing them in you will never achieve the best accuracy you will only achieve inconsistency.
Understood, and appreciate your input. My goal right now is to be safe and learn. Inconsistency in my groups are not that high in priority yet. Im just trying to get a routine in cleaning/reloading to where I don’t have too much air space. The big mental hurdle I have is that gap between the sabot and pellets. It’s been implanted in my head that this is an “obstruction” because there is space in between. I think based on what I’ve learned from you and my makeshift experiments today that loose powder seems to make more sense and would make me more comfortable.

There is literally nothing to be concerned about, you are over thinking this. No matter which form of powder it’s the same. Seat the bullet, compress, shoot, clean, and repeat. That’s it

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back