Muzzleloader elk bullet review.

He needs to adjust his powder level to tighten his groups. That gun will shoot way better than that with any of those bullets.

I agree, and he acted shocked when the 350 grain bullet lower then the lighter bullets
I did a similar test and tried 3 different powder charges. Was just like Goldie Locks, one was just right for each bullet.

115gr BH209, B.O.R. 350gr lead, 100 yds, Traditions Strikerfire LDR. First three on the right; scope adjustment; two more on the left (no swabbing in-between shots). Yep, they shoot straight. Similar results shooting the 300g THOR, 110gr BH209 (1987 fps). Also, shot the B.O.R. 270 copper bullets with 110gr BH209 (2002 fps); similar groups, but higher POI (obviously due to their weight). Just for fun, the THOR 300gr was 2" high at 150 yds.

Attachments

• BOR 350gr.png
    BOR 350gr.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
I switched to no excuse bullets several years ago for my knight rifle. They are very accurate full bore 460 grn.

I shoot 75 grns by volume BH 209. I am right at 1500 FPS and it will shoot a legit 2 inch group at 100 with a peep sight from a knight disk extreme. I also use a track of the wolf felt pad between the charge and bullet. I wanted a single load for all the states I hunt. With a scope I can shoot 1 inch groups from the bench. I have quick detach leupold rings and a NECG peep. I have tried switching these at the range and the rifle holes zero out to 200 when switching between them (as far as the range I was shooting allowed).

I was a tiny bit more accurate at 73 grns and down around 1370 FPS but wanted a little more from it. As it is now it’s a solid 200 yard gun and would try out a little further with a scope if I get the CDS setup.

I shoot 75 grns by volume BH 209. I am right at 1500 FPS and it will shoot a legit 2 inch group at 100 with a peep sight from a knight disk extreme. I also use a track of the wolf felt pad between the charge and bullet. I wanted a single load for all the states I hunt. With a scope I can shoot 1 inch groups from the bench. I have quick detach leupold rings and a NECG peep. I have tried switching these at the range and the rifle holes zero out to 200 when switching between them (as far as the range I was shooting allowed).

I was a tiny bit more accurate at 73 grns and down around 1370 FPS but wanted a little more from it. As it is now it’s a solid 200 yard gun and would try out a little further with a scope if I get the CDS setup.
The CDS setup is great. I have that on my 7mm mag. Really nice to just dial in and shoot.

2gr of powder is 130fps? That can't be right.

I got a buck this year on the kaibab with that bullet and 70gr at exactly 200. Complete pass through on a big bodied buck, wouldn’t hesitate to use it on an elk.

We really enjoy the No Excuses hard cast lead bullets. They’re Idaho legal and the best Idaho legal bullets we have found.

They really don’t look like much but the work. I don’t think they work as well (accuracy) if you try and push them too fast.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back