Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Muzzle break, do you cover while hunting??

tom338

So I have always put tape on the end of the muzzle to protect from rain/derbies going down it. I now have a couple rifle that have threaded ends and have a couple muzzle breaks. My questions is if you tape a muzzle break does it affect accuracy?? Its so cold and windy at home I haven't tried yet. I had a muzzle break fail--- parts in the inside of it broke off, affected accuracy a lot. If the tape comes off one side and not the other with a brake what happens??

I cut the fingers off a pair of nitrile gloves.
Purchased a box of smalls for my wife from harbor freight.
Put a couple extra in my ziplock o stuff.

I cut the fingers off a pair of nitrile gloves.
Purchased a box of smalls for my wife from harbor freight.
Put a couple extra in my ziplock o stuff.
I bought these barrel condom looking things but I bet this works better.

The barrel condom things are called "finger cots" and they work pretty well, but are prone to ripping and slipping off at the worst times (sort of like their counterparts). They work a little better with a loop of tape around the bottom.

That being said, muzzle brakes during hunting = hearing loss. I've never felt like it was worth the extra time to put in hearing protection and perhaps miss a shot opportunity and was not worth the risk to not put in hearing protection and lose my hearing.

I shot a deer once with an AR-10 in 308. I had a muzzle brake on it. The deer ran through and I had to make a quick decision to shoot. I like to say I shot that deer on a Friday and I could hear on Monday. Never again.

I also have hearing loss on my left ear, because a "friend" touched off a shot next to me and because his 6.5 Creed needed a brake bro, because they are essential for .5 sub moa accuracy and watching your vapor trail and the bullet splash brah.

If you carry a rifle with a brake and hunt with other people, be Christian and pack extra protection for everyone in your party - you owe them that.

I use finger cots. I bought 100 in a pack and they are super cheap. I keep extras in my chest rig in case one breaks.

Never ever use a break hunting. Unless you hate your friends and all living critters in the vicinity.

Also never ever use a break when sighting gun in. Basically never use one. If you use it because of recoil you have the wrong gun.
Glad to see others feel the same about breaks
magna port and muzzle break IMO are terrible idea for a hunting rifle

I’ve used finger Cots of the weather was good. If a chance of snow or rain I always use a rifle cover. My preference is the SoloHntr brand. After hunting one year with a muzzle break I won’t do it again. I’m getting caps or and a silencer.

Yup!
I shouldda bought that 408 Cheytac when i had the opportunity.
Just to sit beside you people at the range! :LOL:
:devilish:

So I have always put tape on the end of the muzzle to protect from rain/derbies going down it. I now have a couple rifle that have threaded ends and have a couple muzzle breaks. My questions is if you tape a muzzle break does it affect accuracy?? Its so cold and windy at home I haven't tried yet. I had a muzzle break fail--- parts in the inside of it broke off, affected accuracy a lot. If the tape comes off one side and not the other with a brake what happens??
Are you talking about a muzzle break or a suppressor?

Why are people espousing about a question that was never asked.

Are you vegans?
Because it’s my civil duty and as representative of nature bringing bad thoughts to lite. Not bad people think if using brakes just ones with bad ideas. It’s about the wildlife man. They have ears too.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back