Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Muzzle break, do you cover while hunting??

I had a muzzle brake break recently. One of the interior baffles fragmented. No obstructions, just came apart. I got it warrantied and the replacement was a new design, eliminating the piece that fragmented. So I’m guessing they’d had enough of them come apart to change the design.
View attachment 220578
I had one do same thing. All of a sudden my groups really opened up. Could not figure it out. I took the break off and for some reason looked into the bottom to see some pieces had broke off. Factory brake.

I think they determined this was from moisture in barrel.

That exact same thing happened to a friend of mine, also while he was hunting elk.

He was hunting on horseback and the conifer trees were covered with snow. He had his rifle in the scabbord on the side of his horse. That night he brought his rifle, still in the scabbord, into his warn cabin, and set it in a corner, muzzle down.

The next day he just tied the scabbord onto his horse and rode out. They came across some elk in a clearing, Bob got off his horse, grabbed his rifle, and when he shot his barrel split just like the one in the video.

Apparently, snow had brushed off the trees and fell into his scabbord. When he took the scabbord and rifle into the warm cabin, the snow melted and the water stayed in the bottom of the scabbord. When they rode out the next morning, some of the water froze in the muzzle of his rifle. When he shot, the bullet hit the ice obstructing the barrel and it split the barrel.

I don't know if taping the muzzle would have kept the melted snow water out, but it shows you what can happen from an obstruction in the barrel.

Likely to ruin a perfectly good pair of underwear along with a ruined rifle.

Never ever use a break hunting. Unless you hate your friends and all living critters in the vicinity.

Also never ever use a break when sighting gun in. Basically never use one. If you use it because of recoil you have the wrong gun.
I couldn't agree more with ya. Ditch that muzzle brake. I absolutely hate these A-holes at the range that have to sit next to ya and under a roof. I'm a lefty so I sit on the right side of the bench. I see absolutely no need or reason to have a brake for anything. If you are that much of a pussy about the kick, go with a lighter caliber. My son-in-law was a sniper in Shitstanistan. I asked him how he sighted his Barret in for a mile. He said they usually shoot 300 rounds in a day. So if he can take that, I can take anything. If ya can't, we take away your man card.

I tried the finger cots and they kept breaking in the scabbard. Went to black electrical tape and it works great. I'm told the gas blows the tape off before the bullet gets to the tape and doesn't effect accuracy. FWIW

Brady over at GoHunt has a video or two showing the effects of point of impact and accuracy when using electrical tape to cover a brake. Didn't seem to effect anything, but might check those out if you want. I use electrical tape over the muzzle (brake or no brake) and, like others, haven't noticed a difference in accuracy or point of impact.

As far as brakes go, I guess to each their own. I can understand why a person hunting by themselves would want to track impacts much easier by braking a heavy caliber, taming the recoil so they can see the hit on an animal. I completely understand why some don't like them as well. But, the whole "man card" stuff is a little annoying. On the flipside, could one's man card also get pulled for not being able to take a little extra noise? I really don't care. Shoot how you want to shoot. Do what you feel you need to do to be as accurate as you can be, and have your target die fast.

Never thought to cover the muzzle with anything. When it’s raining I’ve just carried my rifle muzzle down. For those using the finger cots, do you take them off before taking a shot, or just shoot through it?

Brady over at GoHunt has a video or two showing the effects of point of impact and accuracy when using electrical tape to cover a brake. Didn't seem to effect anything, but might check those out if you want. I use electrical tape over the muzzle (brake or no brake) and, like others, haven't noticed a difference in accuracy or point of impact.

As far as brakes go, I guess to each their own. I can understand why a person hunting by themselves would want to track impacts much easier by braking a heavy caliber, taming the recoil so they can see the hit on an animal. I completely understand why some don't like them as well. But, the whole "man card" stuff is a little annoying. On the flipside, could one's man card also get pulled for not being able to take a little extra noise? I really don't care. Shoot how you want to shoot. Do what you feel you need to do to be as accurate as you can be, and have your target die fast.
I don't want to lose my hearing! What I use is saran wrap over the barrel, held in place by a rubber band. Easy to reuse also.

Never thought to cover the muzzle with anything. When it’s raining I’ve just carried my rifle muzzle down. For those using the finger cots, do you take them off before taking a shot, or just shoot through it?
I use the tape in case I slip or fall and have the muzzle get jammed with snow or other debris

Such a basic question, I was wondering this myself, never cared for brakes but now having them on (2) hunting rifles, not sure I will be going back.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back