Caribou Gear

Must Read About Bear hunting Canada...

JoeRAC

Ok, here is goes...I am from Wisconsin and never bear hunted or filmed a bear hunt ok.

I am being offered to go to Alberta Canada for 1 month to film several, several bear hunts, i would be filming everyday, i was told its all over bait piles... Please if anyone could give me any or as much info on huntin bear in May-June...i.e. weather, temp, bugs...is thier a-lot of Black Flys i think they are called? are the bugs bad yet or not until June or later...

How about length of day you can hunt on stand, and how do you usually set-up your tree stands? I was told they already are...but how high do outfitters usually place them 15-20' of higher?

All i do is whitetail, turkey hunt and have little idea about bear hunting..so please any into would help me out greatly.

JoeRAC

That part of Canada is similar to here in AK. Expect fierce bugs--BUY A BUG TAMER SUIT. Expect variable weather--warm when sunny and cool at night/overcast. Expect 18 to 20 hours of usable light. That far north the twilight lingers until midnight so you could be in the stand for hours--be comfortable.

Bring fishing gear in case you get some down time--Pike should be awesome then

Hi All!

The bears are already out and about here, not moving too far yet as the grass hassn't sarted to green up yet. Saw a huge sow with 3 yearling cubs on Saturday all cinimon!
I'm from Alberta so I'll try and answer a couple of your questions. You won't be hunting here in June as the season closes at the end of May, so you shouldn't have too many problems with the skeeters. Depending on where you are going you won't have a problem with black flies either. The weather here at that time of year is really unpredictable, we've had 3 feet of snow in May. The temperature is usually in the mid to high 60's during the day and drops to near freezing at night. Prepare for anything, bring rain suits and warm clothing, a good set of lined gum boots would also come in handy if you are hunting in the muskeg areas of Alberta. We do have long days here, sun up is by 5 A.M. and sun down is around 10 P.M.. I don't hunt over bait so can't really help you there (that's for girls) :) , I hunt them on the ground mano o mano. Expect to see lots of bears and have fun! Do you know which zone you will be in? Let us know how it goes. If you have any other questions just ask.

See Ya!

Back