Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Muskrats ('Skrats); It's What's For Dinner

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
We took a few days earlier in March to address the muskrat population on a creek I often get invited to for late season duck hunts. The idea was to show another trapping series and then prepare them differently than we prepped them last time.

So, here is Day One, out setting a few traps and explaining the damage muskrats do to spring creeks.

Great! We decided to try some years back, as I had always heard that they were not bad to eat. The meat was pretty good, but I could not get past the fact that I was eating a swamp rat. Like Crocodile Dundee said, "Tastes like sh##, but you can live on it".

You can actually get them served at local restaurants on the Eastern Shore of Maryland...Can't say I have done it, but some people really like them.

tumblr_n8d9nsfEuc1spm17no1_400.gif

If it tastes like nutria all of those would be going in the pot

@ 7:30 your reaction was a lot cleaner said than mine would've been in that cold weather!!

Local Bozeman publication recently promoted fried gopher wings.
Really? Geez.
Waiting for someone to up the anty..how about a gumbo with muskrat,gopher, snake, turtle, skunk, ....

Day 3: On this second day of checking the traps I can see we are already cleaning up the local 'rats. If it was not frozen, there would be a lot of traveling rats and the catch rates would stay the same.

Really enjoying the videos. Makes me miss rat trapping. I always found it fun for about 3 days before I got sick of skinning lol. I have some 330’s set on the creek waiting for the beavers to move. Have to catch some bear bait

Thanks for sharing these Big Fin. I've been spending a ton of time trying to learn about trapping and am heading to the trapper ed class this weekend to hopefully learn some more with the goal of starting up next winter.

Been waiting a month for these to come out, I'm not sure why but I love the non-traditional content you guys produce. Don't get me wrong, a good elk hunt is fun to watch, but these videos are always awesome. Thanks!

Randy has just been added to the list of guys my wife would leave me for. It's a short list but it does exist. She loves his YouTube videos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back