Musk ox ribs for Dinner!

northwestalaska

humpIt is springtime in the arctic, which mean temps above freezing for the first time in many months! Living 33 miles north of the Arctic Circle offers a hunter many species to hunt and Musk Ox is one that tastes about as good any anything out there! My buddy has a Tier II Musk Ox permit which allows him to take a Ox every year and sharing the meat is very common thank goodness! He gave me a rack of ribs, which I quickly processed into just the right size for the BBQ. Nothing is better guys!

As I look into the bottom of my freezer and see the bottom for the first time in many months it is very cool to understand that almost everything we eat that is meat comes from my hard work either with a rod and reel of a .270 in hand! Gods country for sure!

Enjoy boys!
Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Kotzebue Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com
your best bet in Camps, rafts and canoe rentals.

Attachments

• Musk Ox in Noatak Nat. Park & preserve.JPG
    Musk Ox in Noatak Nat. Park & preserve.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Musk Ox in Noatak Nat. Park & preserve 3.JPG
    Musk Ox in Noatak Nat. Park & preserve 3.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Another nice Squirrel River Caribou.jpg
    Another nice Squirrel River Caribou.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 206
Very cool!! I'd love to have one of them for the wall, but I'm thinking if I was to ever go on an 'ox' hunt it'd be in the summer. I'd wuss out on weather like that in the pics...

Cool critters, for sure. The logistics of a musk-ox hunt makes them pretty pricey, though.

Back