Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mummy bag and bivy sack

Planning a backpacking trip for elk this fall, two years ago froze to death in a too small bag. I’m 6’4” 225, bigger shoulders and chest so the tightness of the average bag lends to poor sleep. What brand would any of you look at? Have an opportunity on a long wiggy ultralight 0 degree bag. Any opinions would be appreciated. Also looking for opinions on bivy sack. Would like to go really light for this trip.

MM

A tarp supported by trekking poles would be more roomy than a bivy. Weight would be similar. Wiggy's makes durable gear, not known for being that light though.

Mountain Hardware makes a superlight synthetic 5 degree bag in extra wide long that is packable
Memory is weak But Lamina Z was the model maybe? It is dark blue in color. Google it.

For early season bivy sack I had a local seamstress stitch two emergency shelter tarps together with the reflective side in and left a head/shoulder hole. Big burrito with just my head poking out. When i get weather I cocoon in. I upgrade to tent if I expect weather but I have slept through a few storms in the burrito and lived. Bit wet and cold but alive. You will get light condensation is why I prefer synthetic bag.

Good luck.

Used a 20 degree Kelty Cosmicdown this last fall in Idaho during all that crap weather mid to late September. Nice and light and I was fine with temps in the 20s at night and highs in the upper 30s. Got a little nervous with condensation inside the tent a couple times but it turned out alright. BTW, I'm 6'3" and 235.

If you're looking for ultralight quality, check out Z Packs. Not nearly as affordable as the wiggy's stuff, but a Z Packs 0 degree bag and two person tent is lighter than just the bag you're looking at. Right around 44oz combined. The length of their xl bag is generous, just not certain it would be wide enough to be comfortable if your shoulders are really broad.

Im not a huge bivy guy myself, I like the light weight idea but being wrapped up in cocoon at night in the back country isn't my idea of a good night sleep. I've got a tarp to that I use in the summer but in the fall I like having a good one person tent at least weather is pretty unpredictable in there in which I'm sure you know. That way a guy can move around.
As far as a bag, I have a couple north face bags but I am in the market for maybe something else. Last year on one of our sheep hunts my hunting buddy introduced me to montbell and I can tell you after seeing it they're at the top of my list. Warmth, stretchy for us guys that a little broader on the shoulders, light enough. Something worth looking into good luck.

Big Agnes whiskey park

You backpack hunt with a 7+ pound bag that doesn’t compress? And what do you use for a sleeping pad if going the BA route?
The OP asked for a super light set up and a roomy bag?

If you are spending more then a week in it buy something designed for the job. Be careful on ultralight- high quality down bags. I learned you can freeze in an ultralight bag no matter how much money you spend. :)

I have read good things about the wiggys if you can get a decent price. I have no experience with their size. A few companies cater to backpacking bags and make a wide version. Prices vary greatly but marmot, montbelle and mountain hardware are some of the better imo. My north face bag does not keep up in the warmth department and the keltys are tiny or too heavy and bulking on the bigger synthetic keltys.

The montbelle mentioned is the other option I researched hard, good reviews. Price was why I went Mountain Hardware. I get 40-50 nights from August to December in backcountry sleeping setups - lots of it no stove. Sleeping bag and pad is one place I learned not to skimp on.

Last edited:
I have the regular version of this bag and it is the roomiest mummy bag I've ever used. It stretches where you want it to, but really hugs your body otherwise. Not at all constraining. Might be a bit of sticker shock, but it is so worth it.

I need width for legs to stretch out after a long day hiking. I had one mummy bag, never again. I go for tall, I go for wide. Find somewhere else to save 10 ounces.

I love Wiggy's sleeping bags. I own five of them for my family. They are excellently made and very warm. I got rid of all my other sleeping bags after I bought my first Wiggys. However, I have not used them on a packing trip. If I ever did go on a backpack hunt, I would probably still use my Wiggys bag and look to shed weight in other areas of gear.

I can't speak to the sleeping bag as I've never had an ultralight, but I do use the Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy. It's been great and lasted for over 10 years. It's only 2lbs and rolls ups pretty small. I'm a "46" in my suit jackets and this Bivy has always had plenty of room. If you live near an REI you can go test it for fit before you buy it.

I have lots of bags do not perform to their rating. For this I add 20 degrees to any rating. A 0 degree bag I see as a 20 and so forth.

With all the great UL shelters out there these days I'd never consider a bivy sack. I usually spend 3-4 weeks a fall in the back country and one thing that can't be overlooked is your rest! Having more room, comfort, shelter from the weather.... for a pound or 2 more weight is an absolute no brainier for me. Once you're too wet, cold or tired from sleeping like chit in the back country it's game over! There are about 10 other things I'd take out of my pack to make up the weight if it really is that important to you.

Back