Mulies

Funter

The AZ desert mulies are in full rut. We went out javelina hunting today ,saw nothing but mulies. There were four bucks chasing 20 or so doe around. It was pretty cool seeing them with their necks built up, saw a couple of them fighting over the doe's.This is the first time I wittnessed this in person and it was Cool!

I left the camera at home like an idiot so no pics this time but I will be back out soon with the camera.

Did you see any shooters in the bunch? Are you hunting near Peoria for javelina? Forrest showed me a few areas around there and we saw a some javelina and deer.

Good luck with the javelina, let us know how it turns out for you. I wold also love to see some muley pics, so put that camera in the pack.
biggrin.gif

mtmiller,

Sorry I did not get a chance to meet you,got busy helping people move into a new house. There were a couple of big 2x2's and some smaller ones nothing spectacular but I would have shot them if I had the chance.I was about 100 miles northwest of Peoria.The camera will be in it next time.
rolleyes.gif

Wow!............being from the East Coast I have never hunted Mulies I had no idea they rutted so late! How late does the season run in AZ? Is it bow only or can you still rifle hunt this time of year? Just curious....

BTW
Those javelins look like little pigs..how do they tatse? Are they related to the pig family

After reading about and seeing the mulies some of you guys have taken, I am going to have to start building up some pref. points. Those are some awsome looking bucks
biggrin.gif

They look like pigs, taste like shit, and their closest relative is the hippo.

JB

I got my javelina yesterday.D13er It all depends on how you cook them and their closest relative is the pig not the hippo, straight from a warden/biologist.

Funter is correct about javelina, although D13er is not far off. Hippos, pigs, and peccaries are all in the Suborder Suiformes, which is separated into two Superfamilies: Anthracotheroidea, which includes the Family Hippopotamidae (hippos); and Suoidea, which includes the Family Dicotylidae (peccaries) and Family Suidae (pigs).
redface.gif
wink.gif

So how do you cook them so they don't taste like shit? (in case I'm lucky enough to chase them some day)

Oak

I put mine in a crockpot for 24 hours.I cover it with water and add seasonings and an onion. After it is cooked I will add bbq sauce and serve. I also make chili out of it.I have eaten it with out the bbq sauce and did not think it was bad. Maybe the javelina you ate was not cared for properly after it was shot.

C.Oak
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Hippos, pigs, and peccaries are all in the Suborder Suiformes, which is separated into two Superfamilies: Anthracotheroidea, which includes the Family Hippopotamidae (hippos); and Suoidea, which includes the Family Dicotylidae (peccaries) and Family Suidae (pigs). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And to think, I was impressed when 1_Pointer used "stochastic" in a post. I think you are even smarter than him...
wink.gif

Well, in that case I'm gonna have to break out the Thesaurus!
wink.gif

Those wildlife guys...
rolleyes.gif
. How many species of wildlife are there compared to plants????
tongue.gif

Yep, so many fewer species of wildlife, and yet so much more interesting! I've spent 36 weeks of my college "career" learning how to tell my Koeleria from my Festuca and my Borage from my Brassica. That's time I'm never getting back!
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif
I'll take fauna over flora any day.
wink.gif

Oak

I know the feeling! Asteraceae and Poaceae should about triple that time!
biggrin.gif
Flora vs. Fauna...can have one without the other!
tongue.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back