MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mule deer whitetail Hybrid?

Fishnride

Well, what do you guys think? Mule deer, whitetail or hybrid?

I got him out in the eastern plains of Colorado where mule deer and whitetail and their habitat overlap. When I first spotted him from about a mile away I thought for sure mule deer. After sealing the deal I noticed that his antlers were actually more consistent with the structure of a whitetail. They have one main beam with single tall points, big eye guards and a little crab claw on his left. His body was absolutely huge and had all the characteristics of a giant mule deer, biggest deer I’ve ever seen by far! I didn’t really pay much attention to his tail but I do remember thinking his metatarsal gland was a little strange.
Either way I’m super happy but when I went to score him just for fun he really didn’t fit with the mule deer score sheet.

Attachments

• 8240BAC3-B5E1-4FD1-B673-58E537CE6FEE.jpeg
    8240BAC3-B5E1-4FD1-B673-58E537CE6FEE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 226
  • 59B08C60-B2B5-4132-B80E-23B4247C1CA6.jpeg
    59B08C60-B2B5-4132-B80E-23B4247C1CA6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 220
Unfortunately I don’t have a pic of his tail. I was by myself and just happy to get him. The non forking antlers is what made me question but that wasn’t until I got home.

Mule deer antlers can be all over the place and really varied. Part of what makes them the coolest animal out there.

really cool deer, i'd call him a hybrid if I were telling this hunting story, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Well, what do you guys think? Mule deer, whitetail or hybrid?

I got him out in the eastern plains of Colorado where mule deer and whitetail and their habitat overlap. When I first spotted him from about a mile away I thought for sure mule deer. After sealing the deal I noticed that his antlers were actually more consistent with the structure of a whitetail. They have one main beam with single tall points, big eye guards and a little crab claw on his left. His body was absolutely huge and had all the characteristics of a giant mule deer, biggest deer I’ve ever seen by far! I didn’t really pay much attention to his tail but I do remember thinking his metatarsal gland was a little strange.
Either way I’m super happy but when I went to score him just for fun he really didn’t fit with the mule deer score sheet.
Without seeing the tail I'm guessing the lack of a throat and belly patch means it's a full-on muley.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back