Mule Deer Score

Dooger

Anybody want to post pics of their deer with the B&C score? I’m trying to work on field judging a bit and pics may help!!! Thanks!

Anybody want to post pics of their deer with the B&C score? I’m trying to work on field judging a bit and pics may help!!! Thanks!
There's a few threads on here with that already. IMO it isn't as much about as score as it is to take a good solid MATURE buck, and the adventure that comes along with it. Good luck.

I’m not about score myself, but it helps to know what people see in certain units. One particular unit I’m hunting this year tops out in the 160’s. It’d be nice to see a bunch so I’m not holding out for a 180” that I’d shoot anyways. Don’t wanna go home empty handed because my standards are higher than the unit I’m hunting.

Got any links to those threads? A lot of pics don’t come up anymore because people removed them or the issues with Photobucket. And yes, I’ve used the search bar.

Last edited:
Do you have much experience with mule deer hunting or mule deer in general?

I don't think anyone can judge the final score of a live deer. I don't even thing looking at 'grip and grin' pictures is all that useful. If it is a deer you like and it gives you a good shot, take it. Most picky people end up eating tag soup.

Where are you hunting? State? I don't understand the comment of " my unit tops out at 160". Well why is that? I'm sure if there's 160 bucks running around odds are there are some 180 plus bucks to but most people can't hold out past the 160 buck. As far as characteristic every deer is different. Forks, mass, width, points, etc. I do know one thing besides some select areas in the USA it takes something special to get a mule deer to the 180 mark and the most important thing is age. Seeing a true 180 plus type mule deer doesn't happen very often anymore, in any state.

Last edited:
First time targeting MD, but I don’t want to shoot a dink in someone else’s state. There’s enough complaining about NR’s shooting 2 1/2 year old deer and I’m all for passing on those bucks. I won’t divulge where I’m going on here as I get a bit concerned about some things people say which allows others to key in on specific areas. The state I’m hunting has been complaining about all the NR archery pressure though. That should be enough of a hint. I have a MD tag and hope to fill it with my first. In the future I’ll be burning points in other (better) states in the future too, so this is a test run so to speak.

Last year was my Western logistical test run and shot a 120” WT where there’s not many 120” WT’s.

P.S. I hunt solo and drive over 18 hours to get on better deer/hunting than my home state. I’ve hunted out of state for white tails in Midwestern states and a province. All DIY.

P.S.S. SAJ-99, I’ve eaten my far share of tags holding out for bigger and better WT’s. Not a concern for me.

Last edited:
I look at this way, I hate people shooting dink bucks. With that being said, shoot whatever makes you happy.
The only problem I have with people shooting little deer, are the same people bitching about only seeing little deer. There's a lot of info on the internet if you search it, Eastman's has a video about deer judging.

I can tell you one thing if you see a 180 buck your gonna know it. They're just...... different. Kinda like looking at bears, if you gotta talk yourself into shooting it then it's probably not what you think it is. When you see a big tuby come out though you know it there's no second guess. Same with a mule deer, big frame, heavy, large body, etc. You will know he's a shooter.

I got 156 and some change on him. I'm not a professional scorer though .

Attachments

• 20161031_180457.jpg
    20161031_180457.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6030 (2).jpg
    IMG_6030 (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6019 (2).jpg
    IMG_6019 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
First time targeting MD, but I don’t want to shoot a dink in someone else’s state. There’s enough complaining about NR’s shooting 2 1/2 year old deer and I’m all for passing on those bucks. I won’t divulge where I’m going on here as I get a bit concerned about some things people say which allows others to key in on specific areas. The state I’m hunting has been complaining about all the NR archery pressure though. That should be enough of a hint. I have a MD tag and hope to fill it with my first. In the future I’ll be burning points in other (better) states in the future too, so this is a test run so to speak.

Last year was my Western logistical test run and shot a 120” WT where there’s not many 120” WT’s.

P.S. I hunt solo and drive over 18 hours to get on better deer/hunting than my home state. I’ve hunted out of state for white tails in Midwestern states and a province. All DIY.

P.S.S. SAJ-99, I’ve eaten my far share of tags holding out for bigger and better WT’s. Not a concern for me.

If you come to my state and shoot a deer. I'll feel exactly the same way if it's a dink or trophy.

Just so you know.

As an easterner who will Hunt mule deer, I like the intent of this thread. I think people are getting too hung up on score for their answer. Perhaps another way to put this question is “Can you post a picture of a mature, representative mule deer shooter?” For those of us that only hunt whitetails, a half grown muley has the same body size and bigger rack than what we’re used to seeing. Nothing wrong with seeing what a shooter looks like to people that routinely hunt mule deer.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back