MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mule Deer Questions

CiK

Beginning the research for 2019, Colorado and Mule Deer. I have never hunted for mule deer....I have a lot of questions. The biggest so far.....

1) I am noticing that some deer units in Colorado take less points for 3rd season than they do in 4th season. Is that all rut related? Or is it because the deer have likely come down from the high country and are easier to find?

2) This is probably weather dependent. Assuming they summer high, at what altitude should I expect to find mule deer in the 3rd and 4th season?

Thanks!

Tony

Last edited:
1) Not exactly sure but this may have to due with private land issues. By the time 4th season rolls around the rut should be in full swing and the bucks should be well out of the high country. In some units this can mean they are on private land.

2) This can differ from unit to unit, but I would focus on sagebrush/aspen interface area. I would also pick out areas at different elevations that you can check out so you can figure out what elevation band they are in at that time of year.

Check out the CPW hunt atlas and it'll show you summer range and winter range as well as migration routes. It's really helpful.

Check out the CPW hunt atlas and it'll show you summer range and winter range as well as migration routes. It's really helpful.

Thanks for the tip. Good to know because I have been on the Atlas and have imported their migration and range information into Google Earth. By far, for me at least, it is the most helpful piece of the puzzle I get from 1000 miles away. If that migration and range information is accurate, I think I have a good grasp of where I want to go. Just worried about snow, snowpack, or anything else between 3rd and 4th season that might pinch the deer into places I can't go.

1. 3rd season in CO takes place in the pre rut so tags are easier to obtain and harder to fill. Later season stuff means dumber bucks but also start running into accessibility issues with the snow.

2. So dependent on where you’re looking at. Shoot me a PM if you find a unit you like and I may be able to help if I’ve been there.

Like others have said, although a shorter season the dates are more favorable for rut activity. Also, there are typically many fewer tags issued 4th season than 3rd.

I've hunted 2nd and 3rd season, never 4th, and although I do prefer 3rd season I have not had trouble seeing deer movement in either season.

Like others have said, although a shorter season the dates are more favorable for rut activity. Also, there are typically many fewer tags issued 4th season than 3rd.

I've hunted 2nd and 3rd season, never 4th, and although I do prefer 3rd season I have not had trouble seeing deer movement in either season.

Another thing for OP to consider is the amount of units with unlimited 3rd season OTC bull tags contributing to crowding as opposed to 4th season being draw hunts for bulls.

I'm going by myself and in the same situation I chose unit 181. From what I've seen no matter where you go with a low point or zero point draw you'll be in the companies of others.

More than welcome to join me.

Thanks all! I have 3 points. Not a lot, but maybe enough to buy some alone time. I am leaning towards 4th season but will keep 3rd season options open.

If I were you, I would research units that you can draw 3rd season without using points, but that take 2-3 points to draw during 4th season. Hunt 3rd season this year, build another point, and learn the unit firsthand, especially since you will have 9 days vs 5. Then come back the next year with your 4th season tag and you will be prepared. In most cases the mature bucks wont be too far from where you saw them during 3rd, and if anything there could be more of them that have come out of the woodwork.

If I were you, I would research units that you can draw 3rd season without using points, but that take 2-3 points to draw during 4th season. Hunt 3rd season this year, build another point, and learn the unit firsthand, especially since you will have 9 days vs 5. Then come back the next year with your 4th season tag and you will be prepared. In most cases the mature bucks wont be too far from where you saw them during 3rd, and if anything there could be more of them that have come out of the woodwork.

I like that idea. I am not sure if I am going to invest 2 years in a row to mule deer though. I live in Indiana. I am starting to lean towards the mindset of swinging for elk only since the time and money investment to get out west is so high for me. I have deer opportunity in Indiana. Not mule deer, but deer opportunity anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back