Caribou Gear Tarp

Mule deer question

Andrewlonghi

Headed to Colorado in September for elk hunting. Would like to try to get a mule deer if possible and the opportunity presents itself. I know the draws are over already is there any other chance of getting a tag/permit for a mule deer or do I have to wait until next year ?

Think last year was the first year they did the secondary draw with that particular structure. They give preference to the youth in that draw and while you might have a shot with tags that have a number of tags offered, it was my experience last year that the majority of them went to youth hunters. Which I don't have a problem with, I say that to temper your expectations going into the secondary draw. It was worth the additional application fee for me

Headed to Colorado in September for elk hunting. Would like to try to get a mule deer if possible and the opportunity presents itself. I know the draws are over already is there any other chance of getting a tag/permit for a mule deer or do I have to wait until next year ?
1st shot is July 5th Secondary Draw (applications start June 21) and then leftovers from Draws 1 & 2 go on sale on 8/2 at 9 am MST.

I believe there are no over the counter buck tags in CO, although I could be wrong. Doe maybe. 2nd draw is your best option like others already said. Good luck.

How did you fare with this? I am going this september and would like to get a tag for a mule deer also.

How did you fare with this? I am going this september and would like to get a tag for a mule deer also.
Good luck, with tag cuts this year it’s going to be rough. Secondary draw is basically a youth draw so you will likely have to get lucky on the reissues, especially if your trying to get a certain unit

Good luck, with tag cuts this year it’s going to be rough. Secondary draw is basically a youth draw so you will likely have to get lucky on the reissues, especially if your trying to get a certain unit
Well I guess at least I have the elk tag. My hunting partner was drawn for deer and black bear so we will have some options between the two us. Units 80/81

I didn't get one,there were none available for the units we went to. We seen a few bucks in the first unit and I was glassing in another for elk in the evening time and a hugh 5x5 mule deer walked by me at 43 yards.

I think the days of left over tags are gone in all the western states for the foreseeable future for mule deer and pronghorn. Maybe some left over pronghorn tags in 5 to 10 years in Wyoming if the population recovers. Sad to see, but reality.

Deer doesn’t have OTC options that I know of in Colorado. I think you may be able to get tags off the reissue list or in the secondary draw but not sure how it works for NR.Definitely something to look into though and good luck!

Back