Mule Deer - One Trip Pack Out - By the Numbers

We've one tripped several deer and cow elk (2 people) and the weights are really similar. The last big buck (~175") I one tripped was 110 lbs of bone in meat with skull+ antlers. Add in the rest of the gear (day hunt) it was right around 130 lbs. It sucked. I one tripped 2 cows out last year (one with each brother, ha), they both also sucked. It's honestly not the leg strength, it's the compression that the waist belt has to have to keep from sliding down with that kind of weight, it just crushes my hips and abdomen. I try to avoid weight like that in general, but sometimes it makes sense to not have to come back.

The most I have ever one tripped was ~145lbs. That was bone-in hind quarter (~300" bull), half the accessory meat (backstraps, tenderloin, neck, etc), skull+antlers, minimal day gear and bow (there were 3 of us). That pack out was mostly flat (1.5 miles), but climbed a steep 3-400' right away....that was the longest distance of my life. I don't really want to ever do that again, at least if I am going to keep packing elk till I am 60. The only reason I didn't do 2 trips is it was really hot and it took a while to find the bull (liver shot), so I sacrificed body for a lessened chance of meat loss. In retrospect, it prob would have been fine.

I have weighed a number of bucks when I processed them and have never seen a buck with 100 lbs. of meat in my life. Over 50 years of hunting. I have had bucks aged that were 3,4,5,6,7, and 8. None had 100 lbs. of meat in my estimation. I am talking mountain deer far from agriculture. If someone says they weighed their buck's meat at over 100 lbs. I have no reason to not believe them. It is a proven fact that bucks get that big and I suspect that does might get that big in some instances also.

I have never 1 tripped a deer simply because there has been someone else along when I was packing one out but around here it is doable. Bucks that I have weighed had 65 to 75 lbs. of meat. I have dragged several bucks several miles solo simply because I didn't have a pack with me. We used to hunt with what we had in our pockets.

I have 1 tripped several elk with a partner and packs are around 100 lbs. each with a rag horn and noticeably lighter with a spike or yearling cow. Not counting gun and glass etc. Bigger bulls tend to have closer to 250 lbs. of meat and make 3 good loads with the head. I would rather it be 4. 100 lb. packs are pretty miserable at this age but were pretty miserable when I was younger too. They have never been easy for me. I have seen a couple of bulls that were around 300 lbs. of meat but we never actually weighed it all. They were noticeably bigger than the ones I have weighed.

My dad used to say that it took 4 to 5 deer to equal an elk so it seems that his experience in the 50s and 60s was similar to mine since. He was talking everyday deer because they were just shooting them from the truck for meat for the most part. He kept the meat from between the ribs, and shanks so he wasn't high grading it.

Those are some huge bucks. A couple rag horns I’ve killed were ~ 200lbs boned out.

On my in-laws place I think I’ve been present for like ~20-30 deer being butchered, biggest was BC and I think it just around 100lbs boned out.

Most of the deer I’ve taken have been in the 120-140 inch range and probably average 65lbs of meat. I’m sure there’s a big weight difference as you go north and if they have access to agg fields.
Of all the bucks I’ve weighed meat from I’ve had two under 100lbs, and two over 107lbs. Those were the 129lbs and 137lbs. Multiple states, but all in the plains with access to agriculture. None had particularly large racks.

The 129lb grossed 156” green, and the 137lb grossed 172” green. The biggest buck I’ve killed grossed 159”, and I’ve only got three over 150”. I have a stock of 135” bucks. Those whose meat I weighed were all very close to 100lbs. Mid 90’s to 107. Again, all plains deer with access to agriculture, even though there were not all in the same location.

Those numbers are not packaged meat. I weigh all my quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, neck and trim, then weigh the bones after I’m done butchering. The packaged meat would be a little lower.

I got 264lbs from a small 6pt bull, and a little over 180lbs each from two different cows. Shot a whitetail doe this year. Field dressed her, stuffed the whole thing in my pack and packed out. Field dressed, but otherwise intact she weighed 64lbs. Didn’t weigh the meat. I’d guess around 30lbs.

Below is my brothers buck. When I walked up to it I felt like I could have ridden it. I actually didn’t go after it even though I’d seen it in the same place twice, because I thought it was narrow and about 145”. It actually had a 22.5” inside spread(green). The fact that its ears were 25” tip to tip threw me way off. I thought it was 19” inside when I had looked at it through binos and a rifle scope. The taxi made it look bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.png
    IMG_2353.png
    4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2849.jpeg
    IMG_2849.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I weigh 140 lbs and will never debone or leave heart/liver which is why I'll never be a one trip guy. I have no problem leaving all the quarters bone in and just taking the head/straps/organs out then going back with empty pack to get the quarters next day. Obviously this limits me from extremely deep backpack trips which I'm fine with.

I weigh 140 lbs and will never debone or leave heart/liver which is why I'll never be a one trip guy. I have no problem leaving all the quarters bone in and just taking the head/straps/organs out then going back with empty pack to get the quarters next day. Obviously this limits me from extremely deep backpack trips which I'm fine with.
I’m quite impressed with getting four quarters in one trip at 140lbs. Even two tripping it I suspect you’re tougher than I am!

I’m quite impressed with getting four quarters in one trip at 140lbs. Even two tripping it I suspect you’re tougher than I am!
Well, that's if it's downhill...and I'll probably debone the fronts in future as that's all gonna be burger/jerky anyway. I'm not that tough. I get jealous of dudes who are 6'3" 190 lbs. They have such an advantage over me carrying heavier loads no matter what shape or how many legs days I put in at gym.

I 1 tripped a bone it colorado buck with skull last year and I will probably take two trips next time. I don’t know if anyone has talked about it but the worst part was pain in my hips (i’am 28). I’ve never hurt in my hips like that. Any tips?

I 1 tripped a bone it colorado buck with skull last year and I will probably take two trips next time. I don’t know if anyone has talked about it but the worst part was pain in my hips (i’am 28). I’ve never hurt in my hips like that. Any tips?

maybe need a different/better pack maybe need some trekking poles or maybe just need to take two trips.

i one tripped a bone in what i assume was a 2.5 year old buck once. it's hard, just is. i just don't think there are many good reasons to do that anymore, kinda tough on the body... there will be occasions though.

100+ lb packs are no joke no matter who you are.

Last edited:
Like all hiking, the type of miles amplify whatever the case may be. Downhill on a trail is not that bad even with a big load. Off trail, deadfall, and uphill change the equation. Sometimes your hips or back rub raw, sometimes you pee blood. Life goes on.

One trip opens up a ton of country in warm weather in particular. I also don't like going back to a meat stash unless I have to, on account of grizzled bears. I don't work out to look good (good thing because it's not working), I do it to add a little safety to doing this stuff every spring and fall.

I was able to one trip this entire carcass, sans internal organs, but including heart, liver, head, ribs and spinal column back in 2019.
I didn’t shit right for a week.
I doubt I could do it today.
The risk of injury carrying that kind of weight is just to high anymore.
I’ve got too much to lose.
I think I’m the future, back injuries will be to us elite backpack hunters what CTE is to the NFL.
It’s a conversation that needs to be had.
4B25EB2A-54BE-46A6-AC19-9BC2C4604663.jpeg317D8EE4-9257-4275-A20E-F12C6EE95CA4.jpeg

I was able to one trip this entire carcass, sans internal organs, but including heart, liver, head, ribs and spinal column back in 2019.
I think I’m the future, back injuries will be to us elite backpack hunters what CTE is to the NFL.
View attachment 274564View attachment 274565
When I got back to the car my boots were full of blood.
My blood.

View attachment 274564View attachment 274565
I Ended up with a conservative 75lbs of boned out meat.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back