Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Mule Deer - One Trip Pack Out - By the Numbers

I 1 tripped a bone it colorado buck with skull last year and I will probably take two trips next time. I don’t know if anyone has talked about it but the worst part was pain in my hips (i’am 28). I’ve never hurt in my hips like that. Any tips?
I think that hip pain is connective tissue that isn’t ready for that much load for that length of time. If I carry a pack all summer and work my way up to enough weight then my hips won’t bother me. If I’m not prepared for that load for that length of time, then it feels like my hips are going to pop out of socket. If that’s the first hunt, then I’m usually fine by the second hunt.

Everyone’s bone structure is a little different, which might mean that some people don’t even put stress on that bit of connective tissue when standing under a load. That load may be born entirely by bone and cartilage. Also, some people have large robust joints and thick connective tissue that can handle high loads without having to work out to prepare it.

Whatever the case, my hips hurt like crazy if I’m over loaded, and I’m not so sure it’s healthy to do.

Last edited:
Nice detail. Ive done a full meat haul for a muley in one trip twice. Neither with camp. Good to know for reference. thanks!

I do it to add a little safety to doing this stuff every spring and fall.
“I work out because I have dumb hobbies”

;)

Was looking through pics and remember my elk hunt a couple years back where two of us one tripped a bull off the mountain, one of my dumber ideas. Packs were so full we each had a game bag of meat in each hand.

I’ve only killed two mulies, both while day hunting. Nothing special, opportunities that landed in my lap at close range and somewhat quickly. Judge away.

1685329964387.jpeg
~140” deer. Two miles, 1800’ loss. 3 people packing.
Head- 11lbs
Bone-in meat- 101lbs

F7346C6B-A7E1-452A-88C2-DD2D5D9A8948.jpeg
~120” deer. 3 miles, 1300’ loss. Two trips.
Skinned out head- ~8lbs
Bone-in meat- 94lbs

The first deer was trouble because I didn’t have a pack or boots that were cut out for what we were doing. The second was less than fun because of ankle-rolling rocks and logging debris.

Either way, I couldn’t possibly imagine single- tripping one of these things where I normally find them.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back