Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Mule deer northwest Nebraska.

huntsducks

My sons and one of my brothers are headed to northwest Nebraska to hunt for mule deer this November. Can anyone give me a heads up on the hunting in this area. Also are there any private ranches that allow hunting for a "fee" that would have a good chance for success?

There are muleys there but there will be plenary of people looking for them too, including myself. Around Fort Robinson will look like a pumpkin patch, to the west is Gilbert baker steep terrain but there will be deer there, Metcalf is an option, Ogalala grasslands hold some deer too.
Idk about “fee” hunts. Depending on when they are going I might be available to point out some areas to them.

This is my deer from there last year.

Attachments

• CA0D75A1-DF85-46F7-9047-1944E9A11A35.png
    CA0D75A1-DF85-46F7-9047-1944E9A11A35.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 43
Welcome to HT. From all I have heard, the west side of the state has been somewhat of a crap shoot the past few years. You can definitely find some nice bucks out there, but personally I would stay away from the Fort Rob area.

There are muleys there but there will be plenary of people looking for them too, including myself. Around Fort Robinson will look like a pumpkin patch, to the west is Gilbert baker steep terrain but there will be deer there, Metcalf is an option, Ogalala grasslands hold some deer too.
Idk about “fee” hunts. Depending on when they are going I might be available to point out some areas to them.

That looks like a great deer for any of us. My brother and I will be there beginning November 9 and will be leaving on November 24. My two sons will get there on the 16 and leave on the 22. We talked to the game department and they recommended this area.

Any help that we can get will be most appreciated! You can reach me at my email: [email protected].

My brother and I are planning on checking out the different public areas during the week before deer opening. I think that they would be glad to get any branched antler deer. The one that your took last year would work for any of us!!

I am going to get back with the game department and see if they can give me some more information and maybe a list of ranchers that let you hunt for a daily fee.

Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited:
Find the nastiest country possible, to get away from other hunters. The area has some good deer, but lots of pressure and lots of private land. Southwestern Nebraska is even better, but access is even worse. Good luck. Unless I had a ranch to hunt on, I would never hunt Nebraska as an out-of-stater. Not a lot of public access and it gets hammered.

That looks like a great deer for any of us. My brother and I will be there beginning November 9 and will be leaving on November 24. My two sons will get there on the 16 and leave on the 22. We talked to the game department and they recommended this area.

Any help that we can get will be most appreciated! You can reach me at my email: [email protected].

My brother and I are planning on checking out the different public areas during the week before deer opening. I think that they would be glad to get any branched antler deer. The one that your took last year would work for any of us!!

I am going to get back with the game department and see if they can give me some more information and maybe a list of ranchers that let you hunt for a daily fee.

Thank you for your feedback!
I sent you an email

Does anyone know if there is any good bird hunting (pheasants, grouse, waterfowl or turkeys) in this area?

Ducks were all gone by rifle season last year, a lot of turkeys and pheasant and grouse if you have a dog to help you find them.

Ducks were all gone by rifle season last year, a lot of turkeys and pheasant and grouse if you have a dog to help you find them.

Have you ever hunted the areas south of Chadron? Looking at the maps there are several areas with 2 to 4 thousand acres. Some of this looks like it is right rough in places also there appears to be private land that is being worked around some of this. Thought that the rough country might hold deer. We are looking for mule deer but if we saw a really big whitetail we might try for him. We have whitetails running every where here, our state harvest is usually between 180,000 to 200,000. Our hunting is completely different from yours. Let me know what you think about the areas I asked about. Have a great day!

I’ve drove around there but didn’t really hunt it, I hunted around Fort Robinson and Ogalala Grasslands, if we meet up I’ll show you where I’m talking about. The rough stuff is where you will find the mule deer, not saying you won’t find one just out strolling through the grass lands but your more likely to find them in the steeper terrain in that area. The only reason I didn’t hunt over that way is because I had one particular deer in my mind that I had saw during antelope season, which was killed opening morning on public land he went 180”.

I’ve drove around there but didn’t really hunt it, I hunted around Fort Robinson and Ogalala Grasslands, if we meet up I’ll show you where I’m talking about. The rough stuff is where you will find the mule deer, not saying you won’t find one just out strolling through the grass lands but your more likely to find them in the steeper terrain in that area. The only reason I didn’t hunt over that way is because I had one particular deer in my mind that I had saw during antelope season, which was killed opening morning on public land he went 180”.
We will try to get up with you. I may have a problem with real steep country but will give it a try. My brother and I will be there for the week before deer opener so hopefully we will get up with you and also check out some other areas.

We won’t be out there until 1-2 before season starts, so you will of had some time to get a plan together. Reading topo maps can help you navigate around and into the rough stuff also. As long as we can get you in the area to make a shoot don’t worry about getting out there will be plenary of hands on deck.

We won’t be out there until 1-2 before season starts, so you will of had some time to get a plan together. Reading topo maps can help you navigate around and into the rough stuff also. As long as we can get you in the area to make a shoot don’t worry about getting out there will be plenary of hands on deck.

My brother and I will be looking around. If I can find me a bird dog I probably will bring it and try to do some scouting while looking for birds. We will probably look at each of the areas around Chadron. Hopefully we will be able to locate some shootable deer. I still have your email so a few days before the opener I will see if I can get up with you.

hi, i was wondering what your thoughts are on the Sandhills zone in Nebraska? i have been thinking about going to Nebraska for mule deer but i see that the Pine Ridge unit is sold out. I still haven't decided if i should go yet. I'm not looking for a huge deer, i would just like to have a good opportunity at just getting a buck and putting meat in the freezer. Thanks in advance.

I've talked to wildlife manager for Sandhill unit. You will be hard pressed to find a 3.5 year old WT or Mulie.

I just got back from a week of bow hunting the sandhills. We saw a couple quality deer, but the terrain is pretty tough to make a move on them with a bow. Open rolling hills and little to no vegetation. We could watch them bed down, but had very little options to make a move on them. It's almost like they knew what they were doing...

Attachments

• NE Mule Deer.jpg
    NE Mule Deer.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 31
Looks like a good buck. I’m just looking for opportunities. And mostly just looking to get out another time to chase some Mule deer.

It is impossible to get away from people there. My buddy and I hunted there last year. We hiked to the furthest place away from roads, about 3 miles in. When the sun came up we had people walking all around us.

My best advice is head up to the grasslands and glass. PM me and I will try to get you a few map locations where we got into deer.

If you use onX or go to the NGPC website and look at their hunting atlas. There are some smaller overlooked pieces of ground that hold a few deer.

It is impossible to get away from people there. My buddy and I hunted there last year. We hiked to the furthest place away from roads, about 3 miles in. When the sun came up we had people walking all around us.

My best advice is head up to the grasslands and glass. PM me and I will try to get you a few map locations where we got into deer.

If you use onX or go to the NGPC website and look at their hunting atlas. There are some smaller overlooked pieces of ground that hold a few deer.

Are we talking about Pine ridge or Sandhills? I hunted down around Valitine in 2009 and it was crowded. Best places are private and hard to get on these areas. We will be in Pine Ridge on the Nov. 9 we will look around for the first week there and hopefully get on some deer. Hope to get some upland birds while we are there. We will try to be out before light and glass some areas to try and see deer. We will not shoot at a Whitetail unless it is really big. We have Whitetails everywhere here in Virginia. I have a listing of some ranches in the Pine Ridge area that am going to contact see what it takes to hunt them hopefully it will work out where my brother and my sons will be able to get a branched antler deer.

If anyone has anymore ideas let me know.

I just got back from a week of bow hunting the sandhills. We saw a couple quality deer, but the terrain is pretty tough to make a move on them with a bow. Open rolling hills and little to no vegetation. We could watch them bed down, but had very little options to make a move on them. It's almost like they knew what they were doing...

Looks good to me! I know any of us would be glad to get this deer! Hunting with rifles we would not be as restricted as with the bows. I know we would be good out to 300 yards as long as we don't have a real bad cross wind. Hunting Groundhog here gets you to where these shots are not hard , almost like shooting prairie dogs I guess. We always use some type of rest!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back