Mule deer northwest Nebraska.

huntsducks

My sons and one of my brothers are headed to northwest Nebraska to hunt for mule deer this November. Can anyone give me a heads up on the hunting in this area. Also are there any private ranches that allow hunting for a "fee" that would have a good chance for success?

Witherall13

There are muleys there but there will be plenary of people looking for them too, including myself. Around Fort Robinson will look like a pumpkin patch, to the west is Gilbert baker steep terrain but there will be deer there, Metcalf is an option, Ogalala grasslands hold some deer too.
Idk about “fee” hunts. Depending on when they are going I might be available to point out some areas to them.

This is my deer from there last year.

Attachments

huntsducks

There are muleys there but there will be plenary of people looking for them too, including myself. Around Fort Robinson will look like a pumpkin patch, to the west is Gilbert baker steep terrain but there will be deer there, Metcalf is an option, Ogalala grasslands hold some deer too.
Idk about “fee” hunts. Depending on when they are going I might be available to point out some areas to them.

This is my deer from there last year.

That looks like a great deer for any of us. My brother and I will be there beginning November 9 and will be leaving on November 24. My two sons will get there on the 16 and leave on the 22. We talked to the game department and they recommended this area.

Any help that we can get will be most appreciated! You can reach me at my email: huntsducks@msn.con.

My brother and I are planning on checking out the different public areas during the week before deer opening. I think that they would be glad to get any branched antler deer. The one that your took last year would work for any of us!!

I am going to get back with the game department and see if they can give me some more information and maybe a list of ranchers that let you hunt for a daily fee.

Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited:

sbhooper

Find the nastiest country possible, to get away from other hunters. The area has some good deer, but lots of pressure and lots of private land. Southwestern Nebraska is even better, but access is even worse. Good luck. Unless I had a ranch to hunt on, I would never hunt Nebraska as an out-of-stater. Not a lot of public access and it gets hammered.

Witherall13

That looks like a great deer for any of us. My brother and I will be there beginning November 9 and will be leaving on November 24. My two sons will get there on the 16 and leave on the 22. We talked to the game department and they recommended this area.

Any help that we can get will be most appreciated! You can reach me at my email: huntsducks@msn.con.

My brother and I are planning on checking out the different public areas during the week before deer opening. I think that they would be glad to get any branched antler deer. The one that your took last year would work for any of us!!

I am going to get back with the game department and see if they can give me some more information and maybe a list of ranchers that let you hunt for a daily fee.

Thank you for your feedback!
I sent you an email

huntsducks

Does anyone know if there is any good bird hunting (pheasants, grouse, waterfowl or turkeys) in this area?

Witherall13

Ducks were all gone by rifle season last year, a lot of turkeys and pheasant and grouse if you have a dog to help you find them.

huntsducks

Ducks were all gone by rifle season last year, a lot of turkeys and pheasant and grouse if you have a dog to help you find them.
Have you ever hunted the areas south of Chadron? Looking at the maps there are several areas with 2 to 4 thousand acres. Some of this looks like it is right rough in places also there appears to be private land that is being worked around some of this. Thought that the rough country might hold deer. We are looking for mule deer but if we saw a really big whitetail we might try for him. We have whitetails running every where here, our state harvest is usually between 180,000 to 200,000. Our hunting is completely different from yours. Let me know what you think about the areas I asked about. Have a great day!

Witherall13

I’ve drove around there but didn’t really hunt it, I hunted around Fort Robinson and Ogalala Grasslands, if we meet up I’ll show you where I’m talking about. The rough stuff is where you will find the mule deer, not saying you won’t find one just out strolling through the grass lands but your more likely to find them in the steeper terrain in that area. The only reason I didn’t hunt over that way is because I had one particular deer in my mind that I had saw during antelope season, which was killed opening morning on public land he went 180”.

huntsducks

I’ve drove around there but didn’t really hunt it, I hunted around Fort Robinson and Ogalala Grasslands, if we meet up I’ll show you where I’m talking about. The rough stuff is where you will find the mule deer, not saying you won’t find one just out strolling through the grass lands but your more likely to find them in the steeper terrain in that area. The only reason I didn’t hunt over that way is because I had one particular deer in my mind that I had saw during antelope season, which was killed opening morning on public land he went 180”.
We will try to get up with you. I may have a problem with real steep country but will give it a try. My brother and I will be there for the week before deer opener so hopefully we will get up with you and also check out some other areas.