Mule Deer - Idaho

JustEppic

Where do you think 2 Disabled veterans, looking for some good mule deer action, should head? Plan on hunting a week together, looking for a place with camping (state land) and areas to glass... which units should we check out?

You have not provided enough info to get a good answer. Age, severity of disability, physical capabilities etc. asks vague question and you are going to get no answers or vague answers. Please fill in the blanks.

I’m 42, he’s mid 50’s with blown knees. I have migraines and replaced hip, but have already hunted in unit 1 and was fine, so left it out because it isn’t a factor, but you asked so... The factors, were listed... needs: plenty of state land so we can camp, potlatch charges for camping. Places to glass: units like 1 are steep and closed in with trees, very little glassing areas... I mentioned disabled veterans because sometimes people are more likely to point us in a useful direction instead of wasting my time, I’m not asking for honey holes, just units to scout online myself, I asked here because I trust the people.
we are not interested in whitetail, just mule deer, and I don’t even care about a harvest, I’m scouting future hunts (antelope and elk) as I am hunting more and more in Idaho. So, I’m closing, the disability’s aren’t that big a factor, the camping is. I had a hell of a time finding camping in Palouse unit for my bear hunt because Covid had everything closed.

I’m 42, he’s mid 50’s with blown knees. I have migraines and replaced hip, but have already hunted in unit 1 and was fine, so left it out because it isn’t a factor, but you asked so... The factors, were listed... needs: plenty of state land so we can camp, potlatch charges for camping. Places to glass: units like 1 are steep and closed in with trees, very little glassing areas... I mentioned disabled veterans because sometimes people are more likely to point us in a useful direction instead of wasting my time, I’m not asking for honey holes, just units to scout online myself, I asked here because I trust the people.
we are not interested in whitetail, just mule deer, and I don’t even care about a harvest, I’m scouting future hunts (antelope and elk) as I am hunting more and more in Idaho. So, I’m closing, the disability’s aren’t that big a factor, the camping is. I had a hell of a time finding camping in Palouse unit for my bear hunt because Covid had everything closed.

Jump on to IDFG's website. Open up a tab in your browser with the hunt planner interactive map, and another with the harvest statistics. Peruse some of the general units and look at the topographic maps and turn on the road and trails layer. This will give you a sense of your vehicle access and the kind of terrain you're going to run up against. Then look again on Google Earth. Central Idaho is generally pretty steep, so you might look around a bit to find some more approachable ground. Since you're from WA, maybe roll out there this summer and lay eyes on some ground. I've never had trouble finding good camping on BLM or Forest Service lands in Idaho (I typically camp in dispersed sites though). Good luck!

Yeah, I’m hoping things open up more! I was looking at some of those southern units... just checking on peoples thoughts before I throw too much effort into anything. I’m using those though, Idaho is great, WA can learn a thing or 2 lol

Scott gave some good advice. If you are interested in Mule deer only I would concentrate on the southern half of the state. The further south you go the more open (glassable) country you will find. Some of it will be very steep and some not so much. The easier it is to access the more hunting pressure you will have. You might also contact one of the veteran organizaitons in the state. Some of them sponsor hunts on private land for disabled vets.

Good Luck

Maybe look around the challis area (units 37 and 36A). A variety of terrain, lots of road access to good hunting and lots of mule deer.

Idaho is not far for us in WA, you need to take a trip or two. Google Earth and onX can help a bunch but you gotta get your feet on the ground to really dial it down.
As mentioned above IDFG has some good planning tools for free, along with a list of their regional office numbers, I have got great help from the employees there.

The general deer tags sold out last week. There are whitetail tags remaining but the remaining number has not been updated in several days. I suspect those will be gone shortly. Hope you guys are residents or already bought your tags!

I have my tags guys lol... thanks. I was just looking for some personal opinions, I can use the Internet, I just wanted the personal touch. I doubt he bought his tag, he’s... a noob lol. I will make fun of him in person, he doesn’t believe in the Internet. 😂

JustEppic;

Can you send me a PM so we can talk. I think we can hookup and be mutually benificial. I know western Idaho and am planning to hunt the early muzzle loader season in Wa.
Also a DAV with mutual issues.

Met a really nice IDFG warden last fall - in season hunting. He must have thought I wasn't too smelly or ugly, he gave me his number, which has led to a couple of new waypoints to scout out for this year!
Heading out in three weeks to get my boots on the ground there.
Just got to get out in the woods and fields and sometimes good things happen.

In 2018, my hunting partner and myself hunted 37 and 37A north of Challis. Lots of Private but also lots of BLM and Forest Service land. My knees have been toast for years. If/when we decide to go back to Idaho we will go back to the same area. If you ahve not already done so, Buy a Wolf tag too. With this damn Covid thing going on I am more concerned about just being able to go hunting this year. From what little I know unit 36 may be an option too. Most important thing is to have a good time!

Jim

I would look more into the southeast portion of the state. There are some really good bucks to be had (150”-170” if you are into inches with the occasional bucks that come out 180”+ and sometimes over 200”) the deer have been hit pretty hard by lions and the winter a few years ago from what I have seen but they are starting to show improvement.

Thank you! My buddies father passed away, it looks like I am going to be hunting with him as support now, as that seems more important than anything else, I can sit all of my stuff aside for this year. My Elk hunt is still up and running, I will be in the Palouse unit, Archery hunting for the first time. I just got my bow tuned and I can actually shoot, I surprised myself.... lol I am now EXCITED to get out there.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back