Mtn Goat - Utah High Uinta West 2017

12ring

Its official- successful for Utah High Uinta West 2017! What a great motivator! Fortunately, I did some training over the winter for trail running to help keep some of the winter insulation off... This gives me a big reason to amp it up over the next few months. I cannot wait to get up in the Uinta high country this summer! Is it September yet? Always open to any advice, recommendations or tips! I am a little concerned about hitting the area at the right time to get a great long haired coat versus when this place will get socked in with too much snow- that'll be a debate. I reserved llamas for this hunt yesterday- the plan will be to have a backcountry base camp. Ideally I'll get back in there 2-3 times for 3-4 days at a time this summer to locate and get acquainted with the goats.

Awesome! Congrats. Are you a utah resident or NR? How many points did you have going into the draw. Good luck on your hunt. Definitely a bucket list animal

Congrats on the dream tag. I spent one summer in the Red Castle Basin. What a beautiful part of the world. That was in the 80's and we didn't see any mountain goats then. Good Luck!!

Great tag, congrats. I saw goats up there a couple of Septembers ago. Beautiful spot!

@e300winmag - thanks! PM sent, burned my points so I can start on desert BH (which will be a miracle to draw, but you can't win if you don't play right?).

Thanks @Kiwi- really looking forward to this backcountry hunt, can't wait for the snow to subside a bit more to get in there!

Dan- good luck in Nevada! When you draw the Uintas mtn goat let me know, if its the West unit I'd be happy to knowledge share!

I can't wait to start hearing your journey as it progresses, and please post lots of pictures to keep us tagging along with you! Take lots of pictures, pictures all the time. The truck loaded to the gills heading out scouting, the hike in with full packs, the camp, campfire, the scenery, animals along the way. Most of all enjoy the adventure and really soak it in. I drew a goat tag back in 2011 here in Montana and I never got one, long story, but I had an amazing year starting with scouting in June until the end of November when the season closed. It was an incredible year of hunting and I loved it.

You could make one awesome photo album when you are finished that you will cherish for life after it's all over. A video put to music on a disc and saved to a file also would be neat to have to remember everything. Just ideas!!

You going to archery hunt, rifle, cartridge you will be using, load. Man we need to know these things!!

David

6mm Remington- thanks for the advice on the micro crampons- I will definitely add a pair of these to the kit!

I am going to try an shoot my mountain goat with a flintlock muzzleloader in Idaho what do you guys think

@dbusta - that would be awesome! What kind of season duration do you have for that hunt?

Wondering how you hunt went? I drew this tag through the expo and am looking for any info on the unit if you might be willing to share?

He hasnt been on since sept 2020 dont think you will get an answer
Many show up ask advice then are gone

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back