Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT upland opener reports

understand about training birds, have couple 8mo wirehairs, have 12 or so coveys we train on, and shot 1 bird over ea dog today, solid points only shoot 1 bird at a time in front of pups , no wild flushes or birds behind the dogs,,, i think it will be fair season

How are the snakes out there in Montana right now? Has the drought made a difference that you folks can see?

How are the snakes out there in Montana right now? Has the drought made a difference that you folks can see?
Yeah actually I saw fewer snakes this year than normal, especially rattlers. Not sure where they've moved to but they have a plan for this weather, it seems.

Nada this morning. Spot usually has sharptail, Sage grouse, and huns going into the season. Not planning on shooting anything and bird isnt flying just yet, but every bird encounter is good for my young one (who is finding them well ahead of my older ones now). Have run it 4 times in last 2 weeks and only gotten 1 point on small covey of huns in this field.

Thanks for the reports everyone. Heading into the Belts after work tonight for a weekend of grouse/elk/deer which ever gets in my sights

I have not been in the mountains as of late but a month ago I did see a lot of grouse.
I went out by myself yesterday North of Great Falls to Dutton.
I hit a LOT of state sections 5 BMAs and even a WPA. Most had some water source Lots of grass cover and Butt loads of hoppers. Food, cover, and water. I know hunting one guy and no dog is a tuff hunt for sharptail but I put on MANY miles on foot mostly hunting Fetchers, fence lines, sunny slopes, and water. Not a sign of anything, not even a pheasant. No tracks, no droppings, not even a feather.
I saw one dove on a wire.
Going to be a tough year birding I think.
On a bright note, I did see a LOT of antelope most had Fawns, the bucks are in great looking shape and are claiming their areas. A lot more than I have seen in 8 years.

Found these beauties high on the mtn...my first since moving to Montana. Also saw the biggest whitetail buck of my life...great weekend

Attachments

• 20210905_124127.jpg
    20210905_124127.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 8
I have not been in the mountains as of late but a month ago I did see a lot of grouse.
I went out by myself yesterday North of Great Falls to Dutton.
I hit a LOT of state sections 5 BMAs and even a WPA. Most had some water source Lots of grass cover and Butt loads of hoppers. Food, cover, and water. I know hunting one guy and no dog is a tuff hunt for sharptail but I put on MANY miles on foot mostly hunting Fetchers, fence lines, sunny slopes, and water. Not a sign of anything, not even a pheasant. No tracks, no droppings, not even a feather.
I saw one dove on a wire.
Going to be a tough year birding I think.
On a bright note, I did see a LOT of antelope most had Fawns, the bucks are in great looking shape and are claiming their areas. A lot more than I have seen in 8 years.
No need to yell. 🤣🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back