Caribou Gear

MT State land access restrictions

Elkwhisper

What is everybody's thoughts on this.... seeing more and more of these lately. You already can't drive on these sections...honestly what harm is it doing for an on foot bird hunter to walk the edges field trying to kick up some huns...hunt.... or heck even a big game hunter who carries the animal out on his back?

Attachments

• 20220913_191358.jpg
    20220913_191358.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 58
One thing I very much dislike about state lands. I also dislike when the whole section has a recreational closure on it because it has a house on it. Seems we could safely hike on it maybe shoot a bow

I can understand not tromping all over someone’s crop, on land they leased from the state that constitutionally mandated to be managed for profit, during the growing season or during harvest. But, after the crop is harvested and before replanting is another story. In Wyoming, I don’t think you can even step foot on State Trust lands with cultivated crop land even after the harvest and before replanting.

I’ve seen places that haven’t been farmed in years that are marked No Hunting-Cultivated Cropland, where the lessee certainly seemed to plant corn for bird cover (successfully) and just left it like that for years after the harvest. Bordering what used to be a walk in where birds were planted. Guess where all the planted and wild pheasants and grouse were. I also know of a few state sections that are planted in corn and harvested yearly where I’d love to hunt geese in the winter time, but can’t.

In my opinion it no longer is honestly State land that “we the people” own once allowed access is denied like this. All rules should apply regardless of crops or not. Aren’t “we the people” of Montana leasing it to the farmer/grower? It’s kind of the same fact as, “you never really own your house if you pay it off because if you don’t pay your taxes the tax man can take your home.” A false sense of ownership👎🏻.

I guess I don’t see the big deal. They are paying a good chunk of change to farm that ground, so I don’t feel entitled to access the crop while it’s standing. I’m paying just a couple bucks to hunt it, so whatever. Some years stuff ripens late, like this year with a cold, wet spring. Invariably, in years like this people lose their minds over being told they can’t hunt it until it’s harvested. They’ll cut it when it’s ready. There are lots of other places to go in the meantime. We’ll all be fine until then. It’s a balancing act like everything else.

Plenty of states have restrictions about hunting unharvested crop on private too, btw.

What is everybody's thoughts on this.... seeing more and more of these lately. You already can't drive on these sections...honestly what harm is it doing for an on foot bird hunter to walk the edges field trying to kick up some huns...hunt.... or heck even a big game hunter who carries the animal out on his back?
Can I ask ... where is this tract located. I'm with you ... this is BS.

If a lessee is going to lease State Land, there are certain pros and cons that go with it.

I don't understand how the State officials can make such a claim. Did they take public comments before putting up the sign? What's the use of being forced to purchase a State Land Use permit to hunt/fish and then another State Land Use permit to recreate (after we pay taxes to the State that go towards said land).

I guess I don’t see the big deal. They are paying a good chunk of change to farm that ground, so I don’t feel entitled to access the crop while it’s standing. I’m paying just a couple bucks to hunt it, so whatever. Some years stuff ripens late, like this year with a cold, wet spring. Invariably, in years like this people lose their minds over being told they can’t hunt it until it’s harvested. They’ll cut it when it’s ready. There are lots of other places to go in the meantime. We’ll all be fine until then. It’s a balancing act like everything else.

Plenty of states have restrictions about hunting unharvested crop on private too, btw.

Folks tend to forget that we didn't even have that privilege until the 1990's when guys like Tony Schoonen Sr, Lorrey Thomas, Jack Atchison Sr, et al went to the mat for us. So the restrictions in place were part of the grand compromise to simply allow us to walk those lands.

Here's the DNRC's page on state lands recreation. Folks would be well advised to read it and remember. Trust lands are not the same as federal public lands.

after we pay taxes to the State that go towards said land)
Not really. The critical point missed on this thread is that DNRC is mandated to maximize revenue from the State Lands being referred to in this discussion. Revenue from recreational use, including hunting, is insignificant. These lands are very dissimilar to most federal public land with respect to access and with regard to the reason they are acquired or established initially. Many, if not most, are "school trust lands" which are to be revenue sources for state educational funds.

So thank Tony Schoonen, etal, for the opportunity to recreate on these lands and abide by the rules.

In my opinion it no longer is honestly State land that “we the people” own once allowed access is denied like this. All rules should apply regardless of crops or not. Aren’t “we the people” of Montana leasing it to the farmer/grower? It’s kind of the same fact as, “you never really own your house if you pay it off because if you don’t pay your taxes the tax man can take your home.” A false sense of ownership👎🏻.
When you rent a house to someone, you don't have the right to march inside anytime you please. Renters have rights too. As a landlord you agree to give up some of your precious liberties and you get paid for it. These farmers are paying to use the land for agriculture and it's a contractual obligation the landlord, in this case the people of the state, must respect ... WHILE THE LAND IS BEING USED FOR AGRICULTURE. Period! A deal is a deal. I would NEVER walk or drive on crop land while it has crop on it. Nothing pisses me off more than to see a deer hunter asshole driving on a BMA farmer's winter wheat.

Last edited:
Take a gander at this map.

This map is very helpful! Interestingly....the section in question and several others with similar signs show no restrictions on the map.

And I don't want to be misunderstood. I am a big proponent of private land rights and grew up in a farming community.... nothing but respect for those that farm and ranch. It's when those private landowner rights intersect the public ground that I often feel a little conflicted.

If there are obviously crops that could be damaged by walking, I'd avoid that section. But if it's clearly grassland, the sign is just Billy Goat's bluff. Hunt it.

If there are obviously crops that could be damaged by walking, I'd avoid that section. But if it's clearly grassland, the sign is just Billy Goat's bluff. Hunt it.
Grass is a crop if your raising cattle

The reality is no crop would be all that damaged from someone walking but I guess rules are rules

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back