Yeti GOBOX Collection

MT salvage permit deer

Marshian

On our way home tonight at about 830 after dinner with friends, we turned into our subdivision and I noticed a deer laying down in the ravine near our community mailbox bank. I asked my wife to pull over assuming the deer would jump to it’s feet and run off. When it didn’t, I hopped out and noticed it was a decent buck breathing laboriously. I went back into the car to grab a flashlight to get a better look and about ten seconds later, it stopped breathing; dying right there in front of me. It was a powerful moment and touched me pretty good even though I’ve seen animals die before of course while hunting. I felt somewhat bound or obligated to the deer so for the first time in my life, I printed out a salvage permit and left a voicemail with FWP. I cleaned it at my house and it’s right hindquarter was pretty busted but otherwise I got a good amount of meat. I’m very grateful that I was there to make sure as much of the deer as possible could go to good use and was honored in a way to watch such a beautiful creature draw its last breath. It affected me for some reason quite deeply to be there in its final moments. Attached are pics of it in the ravine and then in my truck.

On a somewhat related note, I took my 8 yo daughter with me earlier today to a local public land field where I got a turkey. This was the first time she saw me shoot something with her own eyes. The deer’s passing made me wonder how she felt about watching a life be taken away. She handled it well and I explained how the bird didn’t suffer and we would put it to good use. An unexpectedly profound day.

Attachments

• 3F0430AC-FE9E-4F52-9B2E-BB37B5F7185E.jpeg
    3F0430AC-FE9E-4F52-9B2E-BB37B5F7185E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 98
  • 5114400C-5C5C-4455-82F9-8D7A4709AEBB.jpeg
    5114400C-5C5C-4455-82F9-8D7A4709AEBB.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 100
  • 5B31AE9F-D2EC-4791-98ED-A7718FC71080.png
    5B31AE9F-D2EC-4791-98ED-A7718FC71080.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I do like MT's salvage law. Always nice to salvage something so delicious that in most states would just rot, go to waste and feed the local nighttime critters.

Way to do the right thing!

When I lived (existed?) in Cali I had the truck in front of me smack a buck running across the road, full on front quarter panel head shot, deer spun to the ditch and the ahole in the lifted kept right on going. I pulled over and walked up to it as it did it’s last new kicks. Called DFG and they said no one was available to do anything, I said I’d gut it and skin it if they could donate to food bank or? Said nope, against the law to give “ungraded meat” WTF!! Then I called animal rescue and asked if they could pick it for their raptor program... nope! Fuggin state. Sad ass day when something like that had to be left for the buzzards and yotes. 😡

That’s good it was still usable I always come across them once they have been bloated I wish Ks Had that easy of salvage process Here they have to come out to the scene and issue one I tried to get one one time for a Big bucks rack That was hit on the side of a highway and was told I’d have to contact the state troopers since they were the ones that Had handled the original wreck that killed the deer I called them and was told one wasn’t available and that they would have one call me when they came into the office I told them nevermind because I wasn’t just going to wait around since they had no idea when one might come in and left then several hrs later one called me and said he had driven past and the rack was cut off and was accusing me of taking it and said it was a crime To take it with out a salvage tag He was going to continue his investigation and if he found out that I had cut the antlers off I was going to be fined and possibly even jailed over it ever since then I don’t even mess with them here

I think that if you go by the law in my state the officer is supposed to come out and give you a carcass tag but the last time I did it they said to bring it to them and they would look at it and issue the tag.

It impresses me the efficiency that the salvage law is put to use here in Washington. There are entire facebook pages dedicated to salvaging of game from the roads. Typically within minutes, if not hours, it's gone.

I once came upon a doe that was unable to use its legs laying in the side ditch, Called the police out, and the the cop had a big grin on his face when he found out he was able to shoot something (Small town... not a lot of exciting things happen) But at least I got to but the meat to good use.

I’ve done 2 salvage permits, both deer. A muley doe 3 years ago that decided to run head first into my fender while I was only driving about 15. All the meat was saved/used. A year ago I noticed a real nice buck that had been splattered on my way to an evening work event. I pulled it off the road so it wasn’t so visible. I filled out the form and took the deer an hour later. Essentially none of that buck was usable for anything other than my friends barncats. I also gave him the antlers for display in our office. I guess it’s illegal to lop off the head of roadkill, but if you fill out the paperwork- you can take them that way if you also take the whole body.

@BuzzH i recently bought a steel bumper and grill guard. Always thinking about that story/relatives of yours... goin smashin deer..

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back