Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT public lands under attack again

Marshian

As some of you may know, the Montana FWP has a Facebook page called “My Montana Hunt” where people can post their pics of success. Yesterday there was a post on that site that has since been taken down promoting a company called Landtrust which actively recruits private land owners to enroll their lands with this company and allow hunters access albeit fora steep price. It’s disheartening to say the least to see these businesses attempt to gain traction. My brother spoke today with the owner to see his intentions and he makes no bones about it; he sees Texas as a great example stating they have the most huntable land in the lower 48, probably true if you have the $.

A concerning thing to me is that the poster of that fwp thread is a bit of an RMEF golden boy going by the name “Bronx Hunter” and has at least one video on the RMEF site-

It bothers me to see more of our public hunting opportunities fade away, and it seems the future of hunting is threatened if it becomes a rich man only sport.

This screen shot my brother sent me from his conversation with the Landtrust owner also touts PERC. Big fat turd sandwich indeed.

4A3924DD-7FB8-420F-8172-52055FA109F3.png

Small realizes that leasing property is taking opportunity away from hunters that knock on doors and ask permission to hunt. "That's a part of the hunting heritage we are going to miss, but it's a thing of the past. In the past 25 or 30 years, farmers haven't had the best run financially, and most farmers need the extra income," Small explains.

Your title states, "Public Lands under attack again" though the discussion seems geared towards private lands(?) Not sure if that was intentional or if you mean public access to private lands?

Land I used to hunt and link through to some public was owned by an elder gent that I'd give a few days of ranch work each year... Some 10+ years ago. He passed away.
His sons, who'd I met are good fellas though unfortunately, they followed the route above, I was no longer permitted access due to lease agreements through realty lease settings of private land conglomerates.

Ugly deal though as the article says, it's growing.

I dont see this as public lands assault however it will have an effect on our enjoyment and use of public land in the future. as more or all private acess increasingly becomes hinged on paying for it more hunters are pushed to public lands.

Your seeing a symptom of the problem. When we turn wildlife into a commodity and this is what happens. Texas is the antithesis of everything we should be standing for in regards to conservation, wildlife management and public acess.
Unfortunately this isnt isolated to Texas, and as we see here itts spreading all over the country. In many ways we have only ourselves to blame.

Trial153 is spot on. Texas is a shit show of how not to manage wildlife and has not followed the North American model of wildlife conservation and management.

Back