Caribou Gear Tarp

MT Proposed 4 day youth deer hunt

RobG

I know there is another thread on proposed changes, but it seems to be unfocused.

I'd like a couple threads on specific topics.

There is a proposal to extend the youth hunt to 4 days and increase participation age from 10-15 to 10-17.
http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=83884

Both my kids have harvested their first deer on these hunts and the reduced pressure compared to the opening day has made it a good experience. It is a good way for a young person to ease into hunting. However, I think expanding them is unnecessary to give youth hunters that experience and it takes more opportunity away from normal public hunters.

While it wasn't proposed, having the youth hunt on the weekend prior to the opener rather than the MEA days would make more sense so parents wouldn't have to take time off of work and there would not be years when the youth hunt immediately proceeds the opener.

What do you guys think?

You can submit comments here:
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2017/4DayYouthHuntProposed.html

I don't have a problem with it.

I don't think it takes away anything from other hunters, and we need to increase the number of people who are hunting. If this helps do that by increasing the liklihood of parents taking their kids hunting and giving them a little more time, I don't see a problem here. We have 11 weeks of archery and rifle on general tags. 2 more days for kids isn't going to hurt anything, IMO.

meh

There are a lot bigger fish to fry with the tentatives then 2 days of youth hunting.

meh

There are a lot bigger fish to fry with the tentatives then 2 days of youth hunting.
Yeah, offering informed comments on this proposal would take so much away from you guys complaining about things which you believe aren't going to be changed. Why did you even have to say anything on this topic?

I don't think it takes away anything from other hunters, and we need to increase the number of people who are hunting. If this helps do that by increasing the liklihood of parents taking their kids hunting and giving them a little more time, I don't see a problem here. We have 11 weeks of archery and rifle on general tags. 2 more days for kids isn't going to hurt anything, IMO.

That is a fair observation, but rifle hunting is much different than archery. The longer and exclusive season would allow larger bucks to be targeted.

You can't say that our deer are getting too much pressure, and then turn around and say even more pressure isn't a bad thing.

I'm writing in opposed to this. We need to start killing less animals, not more.

That is a fair observation, but rifle hunting is much different than archery. The longer and exclusive season would allow larger bucks to be targeted.

I think we tend to overthink this. It's kids trying to kill a buck or doe. Let them have a day or two extra. I really don't see a problem with it. If we have so few mature whitetail bucks that we're concerned a kid might plug one before an adult, we have bigger problems than a 4 day youth season.

You can't say that our deer are getting too much pressure, and then turn around and say even more pressure isn't a bad thing.

I'm writing in opposed to this. We need to start killing less animals, not more.

It's not black and white either. We'd do more by restricting general season take than we'd lose with expanding the youth hunt by two days. Again, I'd rather remove the last week of rifle season. That would help mule deer more than anything else, IMO.

I think any additional chance to get youth involved in hunting is a good thing. I would gladly be up for shortening my season to offset the additional days. I don't need 11 weeks to fill my deer tag anyway. Disclaimer: Yes, I have a son who might one day participate, but I will always be for more opportunity for youth.

I'd like to see the extended opportunity for youth, and sacrifice days out of our General season.

I would also like to see a youth Turkey weekend the week before the spring opener as well....

I'll throw in a related question: Why are the MEA days used instead of the weekend before? (MEA days are a Thursday and Friday when kids have a vacation from school). This year they immediately preceded the season, which may have disrupted the opener for some.

No need to increase the number of days. In fact, make it so they can only shoot a doe during this bonus season. Youth have plenty of opps in Montana to get involved in hunting. Cry my a river.

No need to increase the number of days. In fact, make it so they can only shoot a doe during this bonus season. Youth have plenty of opps in Montana to get involved in hunting. Cry my a river.

This.

What can the poor children hurt?

My guess is the same number (or close to it) of deer end up dead. The same kid that would kill one in the early season would probably kill a deer during general season. Difference being now a youth is 10-15 not 12-15 like it use to be. 11 weeks just isnt enough.

Guess we would know more about this if MT would abandon its old school phone harvest survey and go mandatory reporting now that the internet has caught on.

I will be shocked if it doesn't pass , youth opportunity always does regardless of impact.

Last edited:

Yep.
If a parent can't find their kids a good experience and a deer during a 5-week rifle season....that's on them.
100% opposed, and I've got 2 young kids.

Never thought any youth season was a good idea to be honest, my kids hunt and started when they were about 5 or 6, hunting with me doing everything I did with the exception of pulling the trigger. By the time they took hunters safety they were well prepared to hunt with me during the same General season as everyone else: My kids weren’t any different than any others kids, I just didn’t see the need to wait until they were 11 or 12 before introducing them to hunting, that’s a good way IMO to increase the odds they find other things they like more or just don’t stick with hunting.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back