MT Preference Point Expiry

Kiwi

I’m doing some long term planning and went down a rabbit hole trying to work out how many years I have to use my MT preference points.

The regulations state, “Any accumulated preference points are lost after three years of not applying for a Nonresident Combination License.”

So I figured I had until 2023 to use my points as I purchased one 2020.

I checked with MT fish and game and they stated, “ If you purchased a point in the summer of 2020, you could purchase another summer of 2021, and would have to submit an application Spring 2022, or any accumulated points will expire.”

Has anyone had experience of the actual years until expiry? 2022 seems a year too early?

Max you can accumulate without applying for a license is 2, so 3 including the year you buy one with the draw app. Used to be 1. So I would apply in 2022. I got caught up in the "1 point" phase and lost my point going into 2020 after buying one in 2019 and not applying for a 2020 tag.

Do they treat these different then bonus points because they changed that rule for bonus points now they don't expire......

So if someone bought a point in 2019 and 2020, they will go into this years draw with two points? What happens if they buy a point at the time of application? 3 points?

So if someone bought a point in 2019 and 2020, they will go into this years draw with two points? What happens if they buy a point at the time of application? 3 points?
Yeh you’ll have 3 . But it would be foolish to spend the $50 cuz 2 pref point will be 100% draw

Max you can accumulate without applying for a license is 2, so 3 including the year you buy one with the draw app. Used to be 1. So I would apply in 2022. I got caught up in the "1 point" phase and lost my point going into 2020 after buying one in 2019 and not applying for a 2020 tag.
Interesting and thanks.

But in my case I purchased in July, after applications close, and it seems like the points should be good until 2023 as I would have missed just two draws i.e. 2021 and 2022.

Interesting and thanks.

But in my case I purchased in July, after applications close, and it seems like the points should be good until 2023 as I would have missed just two draws i.e. 2021 and 2022.
No . 3 years ..... 2020-2021-2022.... if you don’t apply next year in 2022 your SOL .

Yeh you’ll have 3 . But it would be foolish to spend the $50 cuz 2 pref point will be 100% draw
I've never seen anyone in the draw results listed as having 3 which is what makes me a little wary.

No chance that the 2019 point expires prior to the draw, right?

Preference points are used for nonresident combination licenses and increase the likelihood of obtaining a combination license.
► Preference points essentially move you ahead in line. For instance, a person with three preference points is in front of the person with two, and so on.
► If you wish to take part in the Preference Point Program for your Combination License, make sure to click “YES” on the preference point question. The additional $50 fee will be added to your total.
► Preference points accumulated will be used during the current drawing whether you purchase an additional preference point or not. Any accumulated preference points are lost after three years of not applying for a Nonresident Combination License.

I've never seen anyone in the draw results listed as having 3 which is what makes me a little wary.

No chance that the 2019 point expires prior to the draw, right?
You should check your points total because my 2019 point expired when I didn't apply in 2020. They changed the rule in 2020, but it wasn't retroactive. I bought in 2019, lost it, bought in 2020, and plan on applying this year. I have one point, plan on purchasing 2nd point for the draw

Alright, here's the verdict straight from FWP:

-Your points start expiration the year that you purchase them, 2019 points expire in 2021.

-3 points holders were not shown in the 2020 results breakdown. They were combined with the 2 point holders into a 2+ category that was %100.

-You do not need to buy another point on your license to use your existing points that are displayed in MYFWP.

-In the situation I stated above, if someone purchased another point at the time of application after already having two points they would go in with 3 points for 2021.

You should check your points total because my 2019 point expired when I didn't apply in 2020. They changed the rule in 2020, but it wasn't retroactive. I bought in 2019, lost it, bought in 2020, and plan on applying this year. I have one point, plan on purchasing 2nd point for the draw
That doesnt seem right going off what they just told me on the phone. You may want to dig up the email with your receipt and application from 2019 and give them a call in Helena.

Not to hijack the thread, but how sure are you (or anyone else that wants to speculate) that two points is going to be 100% draw on the D/E combo again this year?

There were 3,434 applicants with 1 point that didn't draw in 2020 and would be going into 2021 with 2 points. In 2019 there were 2,863 applicants with 1 point that didn't draw and went into 2020 with 2 points. 2018 was the last year that 1 point was a 100% draw. I figure that the year over year increase in applicants has to eventually creep up to where it'll take 3 points to draw the NR combo (not considering any pending legislation in Helena).

I'm in the 2021 application with 2 points; have a milestone birthday in the Fall that I really hope to spend afield with some of my resident buddies. Looking for some positive speculation that 2 points will continue to do the trick this year.

While you’re spreading good news: I’m going to draw 270 as well, right?
No clue . Just saying that the bg combo will be 100% with 2 pp.
there was 10,448 bg combos given to people with 1 and 2 pp’s . Only 2982 of those were to folks with 2 pref points . There would have to be 7466 more people apply with 2 pref points this year for it not to be 100% . And there was only 3434 applicants that had 1 that got denied , so assuming they all have 2 this year that’s 500 more applicants with 2 than last year so maybe this year only 6900 ish will draw with one ... of course , there’s people that have been collecting pp’s that will probably enter as well . But I’m totally expecting the 1 pp pool to be a 55% or better draw .

No clue . Just saying that the bg combo will be 100% with 2 pp.
there was 10,448 bg combos given to people with 1 and 2 pp’s . Only 2982 of those were to folks with 2 pref points . There would have to be 7466 more people apply with 2 pref points this year for it not to be 100% . And there was only 3434 applicants that had 1 that got denied , so assuming they all have 2 this year that’s 500 more applicants with 2 than last year so maybe this year only 6900 ish will draw with one ... of course , there’s people that have been collecting pp’s that will probably enter as well . But I’m totally expecting the 1 pp pool to be a 55% or better draw .
I was joking about 270, but appreciate the rationale behind your calculations. Feel much more at ease about making game plans now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back