MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MT NR Big game Combo now over $1,000

8andcounting, our elk tags have gone down since 2009, our deer tags started tanking in 2012. Our elk apps are due late May, our west river tags in July and east river in August. Not sure how SD guys can affect MT stuff?

8andcounting, our elk tags have gone down since 2009, our deer tags started tanking in 2012. Our elk apps are due late May, our west river tags in July and east river in August. Not sure how SD guys can affect MT stuff?
Ok so no one from sd hunts montana deer ?:D

sure :D . Whats your bett ? This is what I would guess , deer combos will be sold out by july 4th at midnight . Big game (deer/elk) combo will be gone by labor day at midnight , and elk combos will never sell out.

I bet for the first time since the tag increase deer combo's will sell out on the draw

Last edited:
And to add I would pay NR fees to hunt deer here, considering the added fishing license and bird license. We have some great pheasant/upland bird hunting and world class fly fishing. I would make it a 2 week trip in some of the most diverse beautiful public land available. Not to mention the hospitality of the small communities and the ability to really get away from civilization.

Last edited:
And to add I would pay NR fees to hunt deer here, considering the added fishing license and bird license. We have some great pheasant/upland bird hunting and world class fly fishing. I would make it a 2 week trip in some of the most diverse beautiful public land available. Not to mention the hospitality of the small communities and the ability to really get away from civilization.

I'll agree

License increases are happening across the country because it takes $$ to manage wildlife. Whether we agree that costs are what they should be, or the states are managing correctly is beside the point. States don't have the funds to manage in today's world due to increasing operations costs, and declining hunters. The best thing to do is be active in recruiting new and lapsed hunters, or supporting and joining the non profit groups that have goals of creating hunters. We are a dying breed, but only we can change that.

Only ever hunted birds and whitetail doe tags in MT. Can't afford anything else. I would love to try MT, but ID offers a similar experience for half the cost. Someday when money isn't as tight I'll give MT a go, but not now.

License increases are happening across the country because it takes $$ to manage wildlife. Whether we agree that costs are what they should be, or the states are managing correctly is beside the point. States don't have the funds to manage in today's world due to increasing operations costs, and declining hunters. The best thing to do is be active in recruiting new and lapsed hunters, or supporting and joining the non profit groups that have goals of creating hunters. We are a dying breed, but only we can change that.

I agree with you and yes it does take $$$ , but the Montana FWP couldn't manage a 1 car parade ............:hump:

A friendly one , yes I do :D. I hope you realize that the deer combos were gone by July 4th and the big game combos by early fall. That was with gas prices a buck or so higher . And other states ( South Dakota and North Dakota and even wyoming) have cut back on some tags so more people are looking elsewhere

Didn't mean to upset you. My point is, no one knows till late August if they have a deer tag or not, so selling out by July 4 would not involve us SD guys. I have no idea how many SD people go to Montana, but I wish more would so that I could draw a tag more often then once every 2-5 years.

Didn't mean to upset you. My point is, no one knows till late August if they have a deer tag or not, so selling out by July 4 would not involve us SD guys. I have no idea how many SD people go to Montana, but I wish more would so that I could draw a tag more often then once every 2-5 years.

U didn't - this is all friendly convo and thanks for your input . I guess that's what my point was is that it's getting harder and harder to draw deer tags in other states .

I get what your saying. Are you SD resident?

ND. Theres guys going 5plus years without a tag now, and I mean lots of guys ... Problem with our lottery now is our results aren't out until about august 1st , and last year deer tags in MT were gone by then . In my case it doesn't matter to me if I draw or not im going to MT either way . And I think theres more and more people that feel that way. Sit in ND and look at posted signs every 1/4 mile or go to Montana and take advantage of huge amounts of public land. NO brainer . And yes its expensive but more and more i think about it its a good deal . This fall im planning atleast 2 different trips to montana , maybe 3 if that's what it takes. From where i live in ND, i can be hunting Mule deer in eastern Montana in 6 hours, that's not bad at all . :D

Meaning ?

MT FWP is often not held in high regard with effectively managing the states wildlife and wildlands, or taxpayer and sportsman dollars.

That's the nicest, most politically correct way I can say what I was thinking. I was born and raised in MT and try to stay up on FWP news as I spend a lot of time recreating in MT. Just read the thread about elk shoulder seasons and you will see that many have contempt for MT FWP.

MT FWP is often not held in high regard with effectively managing the states wildlife and wildlands, or taxpayer and sportsman dollars.

That's the nicest, most politically correct way I can say what I was thinking. I was born and raised in MT and try to stay up on FWP news as I spend a lot of time recreating in MT. Just read the thread about elk shoulder seasons and you will see that many have contempt for MT FWP.

Ok - thanks for explaining . And yes I think many people agree with you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back