MT mountain lion permits

golfer

I have been kicking around the idea for applying for a mountain lion permit here in Montana. I have a couple questions, if I were to pick a random unit how tough is it tough find someone with dogs to run them as I do not have hounds. If you draw a mountain lion permit do quotas apply to those who hold special permits for a mountain lion or if the male or female quota has been met does it mean the permit is still good for the quota that is still open?

Quotas still apply for permit holders. I had a permit two years ago in the Swan Valley. We made two trips over and treed three average sized cats. The quota filled before I could make another trip over. I don’t think you would have any trouble finding someone with dogs. Even though the areas require a permit to kill a cat, anyone with dogs can go chase cats there. That was what I found kind of frustrating, we’d put on a lot of miles looking for a set of tracks and then when we’d finally find some there would already be someone there letting their dogs out even though they didn’t even have a lion tag.

Do they give out more permit than the quota is set at? Were the dogs you used from the area you were hunting or did you have friends that had dogs?

In permit areas there will be a male sub quota generally. If the male quota is full the rest of the permit holders can only shoot a female.

I would highly recommend talking to a hound man before you apply to ensure you have someone to take you when you draw.

I am always amazed at how many people don’t line someone up before the season.

Something about lion hunting is that in order to kill a lion, a tag holder almost always needs the help of a hound man and his dogs.
A hound hunter doesn’t need someone with a tag to go out and tree a lion and have a good hunt.
The best scenario is when a hound hunter and a tag holder have made contact and have a plan to hunt together before the season.
In that scenario a tag holder gets his lion and the hounds get to chew on a cat. Everyone is happy.

Do they give out more permit than the quota is set at? Were the dogs you used from the area you were hunting or did you have friends that had dogs?
I had a friend with dogs. There were plenty of people running cats over there though, and I think most people that are just chasing would be happy to have a tag holder along.

I had a friend with dogs. There were plenty of people running cats over there though, and I think most people that are just chasing would be happy to have a tag holder along.
This is usually true. I am just offering the advice to coordinate with a hound man and try to accommodate his schedule.

Snow conditions are very critical for success. With a fresh snowfall most hound men are doing everything they can to get out the morning after.
I can say it’s pretty frustrating to get a beautiful tracking snow on a weekend and call a tag holder who asked you to take him and hear, “No, it doesn’t suit me tomorrow. I am going shopping.”
Then the next weekend when snow conditions are poor and you are catching up on the work you left last weekend because you went without him, he calls and says, “Hey are we going to go get my cat tomorrow or not?” 🧐 🤔

But by all means I would say get in the draw and experience a hunt. It’s an unique experience.

Another point to remember is that houndsmen simply love to run cats and most turn out on any fresh track. My son had hounds for years and many of my friends still do, EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has a story to tell of some "friend of a friend" that had a tag but just wanted to ride around in the truck till they found a 140 pound male. Those were all one day adventures, never to be invited back again. If you want a trophy hunt, hire a guide! If you simply want to have a fun adventure and kill a mature (either sex) lion then you will probably find someone to take you. Good luck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back